Clean install on my "new" used PowerBook

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and new to Mac.

I bought a used Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz/1G RAM/80G HD today. It's running Tiger 10.4.11, but I'd like to do a clean install.

The install discs the seller included are the ones that originally shipped with this machine: Panther 10.3.2.

If I do a clean install from these discs, then update the OS online, how high will Apple's automatic update take me? I assume below Tiger and not all the way to where I am now. But not being accustomed to how the MAC OS updates work I don't know what to expect.

If I only get to the highest 10.3.XX upgrade, should I buy Leopard? Or will it slow down this machine?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Your machine sounds like it'll run Leopard just fine. It's up to you whether you want to spend the $129 on Leopard, or you could find a copy of Tiger for cheaper somewhere else.

FYI, if you use those install disks that came with the Powerbook, your OS X version will go no higher than 10.3.x. Tiger begins with 10.4.x, and that's a new OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.