• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video compression software

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, I'm not all that technically able (yet) as far as video production etc is concerned, so please use simple words and treat me like an idiot...

The situation is, I'm using Final Cut Express 3.5 and putting together some short film clips to be put on the web (own sites as well as youtube etc.)

Not having the full Final Cut Studio suite, I don't have access to the Compressor software.

So my question is: can anyone recommend some good 3rd party software that is easy to use and handle, and will do the necessary to bring down the file sizes and enable me to post the videos online?

Your help and time is much appreciated - thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The short answer I think is; File-->Export.

You'll need to learn about different file formats and the compromises involved in creating them for the web. Since you know nothing, I'd say stick with the "Export: Movie to QuickTime Movie" and use H.264 as the compression type.

P.S. See you profile inbox.

Reaction score
Is it ok, that I could download from Youtube any video via Real Player? I heard that it's not legal, but when I watch any video from Youtube, I see the link whuch appears "download the video"...

Reaction score
xstep has good advise. I'd only add to think about upgrading to Quicktime Pro for exporting. If you intend to export to wmv format, which is very common in the PC world, you'll need <a href="http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_studio.htm">Flip4Mac Studio</a>.

Hi,
So my question is: can anyone recommend some good 3rd party software that is easy to use and handle....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The OP does not need QT Pro or Squeeze. FCE has the tools required for his current needs. What they need to do is some learning and my starter guides can help. I sent him that info in a private message originally when I was writing the guides.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.