Burning 101

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook: 2.4GHz, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM iPod:6th Gen, Silver 80GB:Canon Powershot SD1100 IS
I recently made the switch last week (Black MacBook)and I don't think I'll ever go back.
OS X is just so seamless and tight

but there is one issue that is proving quite frustrating:

I can't figure out how to burn CD or DVD's!
I know this is rather elementary but I'm used to Roxio on a PC
Any answers to the questions below is greatly appreciated

CD
So far as I can tell you use iTuned for CD burning?
But you can only burn playlists?
So to copy an album I would need to make it a playlist first?

DVD
I want to simply rip the contents of a DVD to play at a later date onto my Mac..how? Seemingly not via iDVD?
I want to make a copy of a DVD..do I have to copy or duplicate it first to the desktop? I started to do this but it said it would take over an hour just to copy

Again I know this is Mac101 but these issues are causing undue stress!

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to shed some light

Cheers

James

TWM

Reaction score
I recently made the switch last week (Black MacBook)and I don't think I'll ever go back.
OS X is just so seamless and tight

but there is one issue that is proving quite frustrating:

I can't figure out how to burn CD or DVD's!
I know this is rather elementary but I'm used to Roxio on a PC
Any answers to the questions below is greatly appreciated

CD
So far as I can tell you use iTuned for CD burning?
But you can only burn playlists?
So to copy an album I would need to make it a playlist first?

DVD
I want to simply rip the contents of a DVD to play at a later date onto my Mac..how? Seemingly not via iDVD?
I want to make a copy of a DVD..do I have to copy or duplicate it first to the desktop? I started to do this but it said it would take over an hour just to copy

Again I know this is Mac101 but these issues are causing undue stress!

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to shed some light

Cheers

James

To burn a CD or DVD, you just control>click your desktop (Right click) and choose "new burn folder". As far as burning music CD's, itunes works absolutely the best. You are correct about creating a play list. you can just drag and drop the individual songs directly into the playlist you want.

As for ripping DVD's use Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/. it has settings for how much quality you want to save the movie as, so mess with it and you will figure it out. ONLY USE IT FOR LEGALLY RIPPING DVD'S... this forum has very strict rules regarding piracy... Enjoy your new MAC and Welcome to the forums!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
This was different for me as well. I was used to Roxio and Nero. It's really a simpler way though--no software necessary.

If you prefer the PC method, Roxio Toast is the Mac equivalent of Roxio Easy Media Creator.

Also, to copy a CD, use Disk Utility to create an image of the original on your desktop (or elsewhere). Put it in a new burn folder and click "Burn".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
You may also want to check out Burn. Open source so the price is right.

Reaction score
dalison, thanks for tip on Burn. I've been looking for some way to copy CDs on my iMac that are compatible with PC. I have the only Mac in the house and the rest are PC and 98% of my friends have PCs. When my daughter or one of my friends buys a piece of hardware I make a copy of the CD due to the fact that eventually they will call with a crisis and can't find their driver disk. Yes the price is great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.