tight VNC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,
Okay everyone, I have a few question regarding using tight VNC to connect to my Mac.

First off, I have read the FAQ threads on the subject and did searches but I am only able to find bits and pieces of information.

Here's what I am running at home: iMac G5, Leopard OS, connected through the internet via apple airport express which is connected to a motorola cable modem and my ISP is Cox.

I have gone into system preferences, sharing, and set my VNC password. I want to be able to connect to my Mac from my PC at work which I have installed tight VNC. I'm pretty sure that I need to open up a few ports on my airport express card, but the documentation that I have found on that states that I need to set up a static IP, but my ISP uses a DHCP server to assign IP addresses, so how is this possible, or do I NEED a static IP? Also what else must be done in order to connect to my MAC for simple desktop and file sharing? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
You'll need to register for a service called "Dyndns.org". It is a dynamic-dns service that registers your current IP address to a domain name that you choose (i.e. yournamehere.org), so you can point a VNC client, for instance, at the domain name instead of looking up your address every time you leave the house.

Once you register for the dyndns service, they should have a client on their site called Dyndns updater for Mac. This program runs in the background (called a Daemon) and continually updates the dyndns server with your cable modem's current IP address so you don't have to update the server yourself.

Now, when you setup the VNC client at your office, you'll type in your dyndns host name instead of trying to remember that day's IP address from the house.

These services are ALL FREE, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Your router may have DYDNS.ORG pinger built in. Mine did, and it's a freebee router from the cable company when I ordered internet access. With it set up right, the router will automatically update your dyndns.org account for you. No extra software to install or run on your machine(s).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.