• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

transitions and short clips in iMovie HD 6

Reaction score
Hi, I've just started using iMovie HD 6, having used a previous version (5 I think) for several years).

I'm having a problem with transitions (which I am used to using and previously found easy).

picture1mh6.png

When I try to insert it says, "you cannot use a transition between two very short clips. They must each be 4:35:05 long".

The clips either side are over 5 seconds long. So does this mean in iMovie 6 I have to use clips of 4 MINUTES to use a transition? That can't be right!

I hope I've been clear in elaborating the problem.

I am using version 6.0.4, which is the version for people who have bought iLife 08 (iMovie 08 doesn't really interest me).

This is my hardware overview:
Model Name: iMac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac12,1
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 700 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1

And I almost forgot to add: I'm using Leopard 10.5.2

Many thanks for any advice.

OP
izmc79
Reaction score
Hooray - I solved my own problem!

The transition was set to a speed of 12 seconds - crazy stuff! I don't think I realised one could adjust the speed of transitions (perhaps one can't in iMovie 5?).

When I lowered the speed of the transition (using a bar in the transitions panel), the required length of the two clips also diminished, thereby solving the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.