• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

At what age did you start (or do you plan to start) to live alone?

Reaction score
Hello!
In a couple of months I'm going to move and live alone, separately from my parents. I am almost 23.
I wonder how old were you when you started to live alone? Or at what age do you plan to live separately from your parents?
What has forced you to live by your own? :)
Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
24- After college I didn't feel like getting a job so I took the summer off. I stayed home for a year to buy a car and save like 7G. I knew when I left I wouldn't get any help. I needed a car and cash to afford even the most basic amnenties. I owned a computer, a giant bean bag type chair and some clothes and that's honestly it.
My own suggestion is to make sure you have a reliable car and enough cash to stay on your feet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, Dell Inspiron 9400
I joined the Marines when I was seventeen. I had my 18th birthday at Parris Island.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I guess technically i never lived on my own i went from college back home to work for a couple of years (i could afford the rent at home and save money), now i live with my girlfriend over a 1000 miles from home. I am currently 25

I would agree with bry. The most important thing you can do is start saving money. It is nice knowing that if an emergency comes up you dont have to worry about money. Also make sure that where ever you move to, you can live with in your budget. Dont over extend yourself as it can be very stressful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I drew up a nice little plan before I moved containing what I figured it'd cost me to get by month to month. Look at where you want to move to and see how much it costs to rent a place. I've had to pay for electricity where I've moved which is around $25 a month. Everything else like that was covered for me. Figure in phone bills, car and renters insurance, Internet/TV bills, gas, grocery/ food money, and so on. Make sure you can also fit in some spending cash for the weekends and some money to put in the bank.
Living month to month can tear people apart. Make sure you can afford the basics comfortably.

This helped me figure if I could live without a problem or if I needed to go out and find a higher paying job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've lived away from home in a dorm and apartment while in college, but it was never by myself, I always had some roommates. Now I'll be going to law school this fall, and for most places, you get an apartment or dorm for yourself. Even if I end up with a roommate, I'll have the option of getting my own apartment second year. So worst case scenario, I'll be 24 when living all by my lonesome self.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz
I'm with mudpuppy. Joined the Navy at 17.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I'm hoping to have a place of my own by the end of my Junior year of college, so, I'll hopefully be 21-22.

But, it's not a big deal if I don't get that.

Still have my bloody student loans to pay off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
21, sorta. 26 for real.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Went to college away from my parents at 18, but returned periodically. 23 was the age I got my own place (where I paid my own rent.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Moved away when I was 18, moved back when I was 19. Then I moved away for good when I was 22.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I am living in an apartment in Columbus next fall for an internship. I will probably get an apartment when I return in the spring.

I'll be 19/20 then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
Similar to some of the other people here, I spent about a year at home after I graduated from school. It gave me the chance to get things in order and sack some money away to get a place. At 24, I was out the door.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I wish I could still live at home but after a while your parents will drive you nuts.

while going to college and working full-time, I moved out at 26 and in w/ my g/f. SoCal isn't a cheap place to live for anyone. :-( On the plus side, our place is 120' from the Verizon telco. :-D

Agreed on all points....make sure you have a reliable (preferably paid-off) car and plenty of cash saved. If you're going to find a place, get one in a descent neighborhood where the rent isn't going to kill you. On the other hand, I'd rather pay an extra $100-$200/mo if I can live right next to work.

Reaction score
Similar to others, moved out at 18 and into dorm life. For graduate school I had a housemate to save on expenses ( it does save alot, rent and 1/2 all utils go a long way when your a student or just starting out). My post-doc year I got my first flat and have enjoyed living by myself ever since. I was 26 at the time. The one perk of starting out living on the cheap when you finally get settled and start making comfortable levels of money you can really put it away since you were used to living on the cheap then after you have a safe reserve (5 months of wages is what I use) then enjoy it some too ;) To answer your question about being forced, college did. I attended University too far to live at home, besides I was ready to be in a metro area from rural.

I know others have said to find places affordable to live, which can be good advice but not it taken to an extreme IMHO. Sometimes paying a bit more is well worth it in ways you may not initially see. Close to Public transit, thick walls and a clean neighborhood can make a huge difference in your experience living and quality of life. Not sure where you are from but craigslist.org is a great resource around here to find roommates or apts for rent.

Best of luck to you on this new adventure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Joined the Air Force at 17.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Me and my girlfriend got our own place at 19.
Why? My mom was moving and I figured I'd be moving out soon anyway, so there was no point in her getting an apartment with an extra room for me (rents are crazy in Munich).

We lived in a one room apartment for 3 1/2 years which worked out great surprisingly enough. So I figure if we got along there, we should be set for a while :)
We now live in a larger 2 1/2 room apartment...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm 18, and I'll be moving out in about a year or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you count taking care of myself as living on my own, then about 14... I didn't technically move out till I was 19.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.