More Wrongs Don't make One Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am writing to highlight the recent incidents regarding my recent purchase of a Mac Book Pro from Apple.

Through a personal contact I had manage to place an order of a Mac Book Pro via direct dealing with a distributor locally (in Singapore) about 3-4 weeks ago. Based on the basic setup, I have request for a replacement of the hard drive with a higher speed. The decision of this purchase was a rational and very obvious one – since I am paying a distributor offered price (significantly lower than the published retail price).

While I was waiting eagerly for the arrival of my new gear from the distributor, the great news of the latest launch of the new Mac Book Pro arrived first. I was thrilled at first with the newly improved product, and was positively stunned by the significant reduced on the price tag. In fact, the new retail price is even lower than what I am required to pay for my order.

However, the joy was short-lived. After checking with the distributor of what are the follow up actions they will be taking in regards to the significant difference in pricing, the reply is: None.

The explanation from the distributor is simply that all “Custom Made” Mac products are not “Price Protected”. Since I have an upgrade of the hard disk – my Mac Book Pro is a custom made product.

As an all-time avid supporter and firm believer of Mac products, I have found this recent misadventure shocking... You can imagine the amount of disappointment and dismay one can experience.

Base on my calculation, the price difference of my “custom made” Mac Book Pro (even though “custom made” in my case means only upgrading of hard disk) is very much more costlier than purchase it online (includes the upgrade of the hard disk as well), or through a local Mac Retailer. To fuse further dismay- it is becoming an alarming, “illogical” (and embarrassing) fact that I have purchased a Mac product via a distributor, but cost even much more than getting it off the retail shelf.

I refuse to acknowledge a fine establishment like Apple will assess this situation with not reservation and consideration of circumstance and customer benefits.

To stop my own speculation and anymore negative assumption, I had made an attempt to speak to Apple Asia. They replied that my unit was shipped out to me before the qualifying period for price protection – a reason that is somehow different the one responded by the distributor.

To probe further, I requested to investigate the incident further by furnishing me the Official date of my order, and What exactly are the factors that constitute to the price protection period. I am eager to know by how much time was delayed that constitute my order to miss out on the mentioned price protection time frame. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't think such info are considered to be company confidential - there are just info that furnish my purchase. My requests for these information was refused.

Lastly, I just wish to highlight that like most of my peers and people in the broadcast industry, my purchase decision of a highly establish, high end gear such as a Mac Book Pro – is an investment decision that does require serious thoughts.. It is a decision made based on price, quality and trust.

As so we thought the sage would end by accepting the fact that I have to pay significantly more for my order, the incident escalated. After the long 2 months delay, I finally received my long awaited Mac book pro. As I was carefully unpacking the equipment, I am pleased with the mint condition as it is securely packed. I had begin to accept the fact that there's nothing much I can do about the extra cost I have to bear due to the bad timing of my order.

However, my self-resolution is ironically short-lived. Upon switching the device on, it is shocking to spot an obvious burnt pixel in the middle of my screen. Due to the earlier episodes of the helplessness towards the price protection saga, I can't help but to feel extremely let down by this further mishap.

I feel disturbingly unjust by these chains of incidents that lead me to send you this response.

Please understand the frustration I am going through for the past few weeks - a normal consumer that at the beginning thought had harvest a good deal, then to be place in a compromising position of paying much more than the retail price - and now, receiving my order with defects.

I provided my feedback to Apple Asia again – and yet an email response from them. I called the technical support in regards to my product defects – THEY REFUSE TO REPAIR IT! (Repair… I did not even start to demand a one for one exchange.), quoting their policy is there they will advise not to proceed the repairing UNLESS IT IS MORE THAN 3 BURNT PIXELS FOUND! ONE BURNT PIXEL IS CONSIDERED TO BE ACCEPTABLE. This termed to be a forced conclusion that I have to live with it.

I believe anyone in my position will not be sitting on it and accepting these consequences over and over again.

Despite the price - Obviously no, the Mac Book Pro did not perform up to my expectation.

I am extremely fearful and skeptic of anymore further possible dismay.

My intention is not to seek compensation, or rather, an explanation that can justify every decision made, every dollar spent and every unit of trust we have invested on the belief in a big establishment like Apple. In addition, I wish to bring this across to your readers of being wary of their future purchase.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
I don't know how it is in Asia, But in Canada, if you go through a connection (i.e. a contact that is a distributor) and make a deal, you generally wave any right to have the same luxuries as a normal retail sale (price protection, return/exchange policies etc.) except the warranty.

If you were to do that here, Apple and the distributor would have no obligation to "price protect" anything. Since you aren't a regular retail customer, those policies do not apply.

Despite what you think, I would not consider you a "normal consumer", since you acquired your MacBook Pro through a connection and not a regular retail environment.

And for the record, I applaud Apple for considering 3 burnt/deal pixels unacceptable. Most computer manufacturers consider 7+ dead pixels a defect. HP/Compaq, Acer, Gateway, Sony all follow that rule. Any exceptions to that rule is on a case by case basis.

No offence, but even though your situation sucks, I can totally see why things happened the way they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.