setting up file sharing over wireless network

Reaction score
I got my new MBP and now I would like to be able to access the files on my WinXP Pro machine over the wireless network. Normally this would be really easy but my neighbor is also part of my wireless network, and I want to be able to swap files back and forth between my WinXP PC and my MBP without my neighbor having access to the files or even being able to see them.

How would I go about setting this up? File sharing setup within WinXP? Make an FTP server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Just give both your windows and mac a password. Every time you need to access the computers, it will ask you for a password. You could also do a Save Password thing and it won't even bother you then.

OP
G
Reaction score
My MBP already has a pword setup, but I should also set a pword for my WinXP account?

Right now I have it set up so I can see my PC's share folder on my MBP, but then shouldn't other computers on the network be able to see it too? Besides, I would rather share the entire drives between the two machines, so what would I need to do to set this up all password protected and whatnot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. If you put a password to your XP machine, you will have to provide it to access any drives. Shared folders on the other hand don't need passwords so beware.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok so I found out that when users access the share folder they use the windows guest account, so I gave it a password. Works now, except when I go into the actual shared folders the contents aren't showing up. what the...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Try a prog called folder share from Microsoft Live.
Works on Windows and Mac.
Also it's free

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.