• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Can you imagine a PC getting you this exited?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
You must've never built your own.

11.jpg

7.jpg

Definitely remember how excited I was when I made this thing 4 years ago, and it was more expensive than that guy's mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But 4 years ago it was running XP. That would have excited me back then, that and building it myself. If it was today with Vista I would really not be that excited.

VERY NICE looking rig there though EGGO! I still build my own Gaming Rigs and systems for others. Always fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
But 4 years ago it was running XP. That would have excited me back then, that and building it myself. If it was today with Vista I would really not be that excited.

VERY NICE looking rig there though EGGO! I still build my own Gaming Rigs and systems for others. Always fun.

I hate it when the mac people bring up vista. It's no fair we have no defense against that argument! Hahaha.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hate it when the mac people bring up vista. It's no fair we have no defense against that argument! Hahaha.

Yeah I hear you on that one. I am not a complete Mac person by the way. I love OSX and for most of my computing I run Macs, but still love XP for gaming and building my own systems. After seeing yours I might have to build a new PC but it will be running XP Pro for sure!

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have no problem with PCs other than the fact that I would have to run Windows. If I had a sweet machine like EGGO's PC, I'd be just as nutty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
But then there's Linux. ^_^ My homebuilt was designed primarily as a Linux number cruncher and secondarily as a WindowsXP box for my wife. It was dual boot. While it ran, it was a great machine. A random failure isolated to the mobo, case, or RAM finally lead to its early demise and eventually my first MacBook.

Nice looking setup EGGO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I don't care to learn a 3rd OS. I've only seen a Linux box in action cause a guy was running Myth. OS X will handle all my needs and I am familiar with Windows because it's what everyone uses. Linux is an afterthought to me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't care to learn a 3rd OS. I've only seen a Linux box in action cause a guy was running Myth. OS X will handle all my needs and I am familiar with Windows because it's what everyone uses. Linux is an afterthought to me.

You owe it to yourself to try Ubuntu. It really is that good.

I ran Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Latitude D600 (a 3+ year old machine) over the weekend in anticipation of my new MBP. I was impressed with the performance and usability right out of the gate. It's really come a long way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Not everyone uses windows ;) That's why we have a mac forum :p. Linux is fun to learn, it's not much different than OS X it's just gives you more control, but you can do the same things in OS X as you can in Linux or BSD. You just have to learn how to use the terminal, that's it. Not much difference.

Config files are like .plst files, directories in OS X and linux are nearly the same.. Not too much of a learning curve, it's fun to be adventuristic sometimes :)

Whatever works for you, use it :)

Edit: Cwa posted right before me.

I hated Ubuntu, I'm more of a native Debian guy. I like slackware as well, but mostly Debian and only a couple builds from it. Mepis, yoper, etc. I tried Ubuntu in the past and I didn't like it at all, but I decided to give it another try this week since LinuxMint won't run right on the MacBook, mostly it's because of Grub. I grabbed the latest version of Ubuntu and I installed it, I must say. It is not half bad now, they have improved it quite a bit, the only thing that I don't have working is the wifi, but it can be done with Ndiswrapper.

I haven't decided if I want to keep Ubuntu on it or not, I may just go ahead and do something else. I haven't really decided yet, of course I'm not wiping out OS X, I've been, and will continue to dual boot. It's worth a try, the ISO is a bootable live distro, so you don't have to install it if you don't want to.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
SNIP

It is not half bad now, they have improved it quite a bit, the only thing that I don't have working is the wifi, but it can be done with Ndiswrapper.

What I found really impressive about 7.10 was that upon first boot, a balloon popped up from the system tray that basically said "Proprietary drivers are available for your wireless card, click here to install them". Then, it gave me a warning about the drivers not being open source, and boom, it worked perfectly including WPA/WPA2 support (which is normally a nightmare to get working in my experience).

Sorry for the thread hijack. I was just really impressed... this has been a long-standing problem in several Linux distros I've tried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Used to love building my own PC. Total control of what goes into the box. The bad thing about it is that is used to be pretty spendy if you are the type of tool pusher who likes the latest and greatest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Used to love building my own PC. Total control of what goes into the box. The bad thing about it is that is used to be pretty spendy if you are the type of tool pusher who likes the latest and greatest.

What and macs aren't? In the end, it's cheaper than buying anything comparable to the specs that's premade. If you want the latest and greatest, you'll be spending just as much, if not more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.