Last Minute Question

Reaction score
In an attempt to save money I am really thinking what the real difference between the 2.4ghz Macbook and the 2.4ghz Macbook pro? Besides the apparent bigger screen and dedicated video card... what else it the benefit to getting the macbook pro over the macbook if any?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You also get the backlit keyboard ;P

Reaction score
If you are planning on doing extensive video editing or handling large audio files for editing, etc. then you should get the MacBook Pro. But if you just need a machine for basic web surfing, email, some Photoshop editing, etc. then get the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Well if you are going to be working with videos and photos the bigger screen would definitely be really helpful, I know that the 13.3" screen has been a real restriction to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I got the Pro because of the extensive Lightroom and Photoshop work that I do. I wanted the bigger screen and the extra power. The backlit keyboard is a nice touch. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Like everyone else said, it really boils down to how much video editing you're gonna do with it. Personally, I like my MB's 13.3 screen. I prefer the mobility over screen size. Besides, with Leopard's Spaces, I don't find the screen size limiting at all! Just my $.02...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Cleaner look because of the aluminum
LED screen is supposedly incredible
The larger HD and
Everything else mentioned.

I'd choose the MBP over any MB any day of the week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I seriously considered the same question and went with the MacBook. Portability was the primary consideration--along with a $600 savings. I've been very happy thus far.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well as far as hard drives... the macbook 2.4 can be configured to have a bigger hard drive that the one the macbook pro 2.4 is stocked with...

What I primarily use is Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Logic and Pro Tools ... I don't do any video work but would like to learn Final Cut one day...

I have a widescreen Samsung LCD monitor that I currently use with my windows desktop that I love, if I connect the macbook to it, will it use a bigger resolution than 1200x800 on my Samsung (it supports up to 1900xsomething) or will it be the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Macbooks both support external monitors with resolutions up to 1920 x 1200. If your external monitor offers that resolution, then the Macbooks can output at that resolution.

OP
S
Reaction score
Is there anything else I need to know other than the display question, which really helped me as now I really am leaning towards the Macbook 2.4...

As far as external storage, I plan to use my current hard drives and turn them into externals... any other recommendations, how about for a ram upgrade as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2.4GHz comes standard with 2GB. Give that a try before spending money to upgrade to 4GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I would eliminate hard drive and ram from the issue of which to get - better and cheaper to bump that up aftermarket. Neither should impact your decision.

The single biggest issue that I see is the screen and the fact that it has it's own graphics card with dedicated memory. The rest of the stuff is in the details to me.

As a happy MacBook owner I do run out of space pretty quickly on the 1280x800 display. Spaces helps considerably but there really is no substitute for pixels when doing image editing. If you have an Apple or Best Buy near you I would make sure you feel really comfortable with the screen differences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.