Color Calibration Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz/4 GB RAM
Okay...I got the new iMac and have several things to color calibrate but don't know where to start. Anyone have any advice?

I'm using CS3 and have a hp scanjet 5590, Canon Rebel XTi camera and a hp cp1700 printer. Can't get anything to look right on the printer from anything.

Any good resources or step-by steps? Then after I get my system calibrated, how do I handle existing files such as Photoshop image with existing color profiles embedded?

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Start HERE. Then get a calibration tool and software. Once you've calibrated your monitor, re-examine the images that you'd previously edited. Make any necessary adjustments, then print. What appears on your monitor should be a very close proximation when you print.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could also try one of those usb devices that calibrate your screen

I will borrow the one from work and tell you more tomorrow

Reaction score
It is definately worthwile investing in a hardware calibration tool, such as a spyder3 or eye one. while you might be able to get the same results from using sliders or software, it can take alot of time to get right if you are not an experienced user.

Borrowing one might be an option, but if you are serious about calibration and colour, you should recalibrate your screen every 2-4 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
Calibration is definitely the key although there are a few more steps to take to make sure Photoshop prints look like they do on your monitor. I use a Spyder2 Pro USB calibrator but with Coloreyes software (much better than most of the color calibration software that comes with the devices). That would be the way I'd go...get a used one from somewhere and buy the Coloreyes software. (though if you're low on $$ the device software is better than "eyeballing it."

Once your display is calibrated and you're ready to print. Make sure the system is set to let Photoshop handle color management, select the proper paper profile in the drop down, then make sure color management is turned off in the printer driver (should see the settings in there).

After all of this your prints "should" match the display very closely.

Best!
Kat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.