• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Crazy Idea.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I just had a crazy idea... it might work..... Automotive scanning and diagnosis software for the ipod touch or iphone.... and a custom OBDII dock connector cable...... Who thinks this is possible???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Hey, that really might be a crazy (in a good way) idea. If there was a way to do it, I'd prolly get a iPod touch and convert it instead of carrying around those big bulky OBDII machine. It's like carrying a plastic brick around.
Only question, how would you be able to create a custom dock cable?

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
That'd be a lil bit of trouble.. also I have no knowledge of programing. So theres 2 problms.I wonder who I should take this idea too

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not a bad idea at all - I'm sure it could be easily done, and since so many people carry their iPods in their car, it would be a great little accessory.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
We'll I'd rather this intended for people who knew what they were ding with the tool..... you can potentially muck things up if you dont

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i think that is a spectacular idea!!! they make usb to obdii cables for computers dont they? why couldnt you break down the wiring and wire it to a usb to dock connector cable. so there is one easy fix. how ever getting to work with the ipod would be a different story.

Reaction score
i think that is a spectacular idea!!! they make usb to obdii cables for computers dont they? why couldnt you break down the wiring and wire it to a usb to dock connector cable. so there is one easy fix. how ever getting to work with the ipod would be a different story.

Yup they do, I have one that plugs into my laptop to collect the data.
You might have the next uber gadget in the making for car/tech geeks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would love to have a OBDII adapter for my iPhone. I would just have to carry around a cable instead of an entire device. Sounds like a great idea!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
The Wire portion of the project is not such a tough hurdle but it would need some good research. You'll have to find Schematics and wiring diagram on the USB to OBDII cable as well as (which I am not sure if they exist) The Wiring diagrams for the Dock Connector to figure out the Input/Output wires which you'd be using to transfer data back and forth between iTouch/iPhone and OBDII. but that shouldn't be so bad with some trial and error process and a DVM

Creating an interface on the iPhone shouldn't be too hard. I was looking through the videos for the SDK and uses Objective C and gives you tones of options and a lot of flexibility as well.

Good Luck, it will be a sweet project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think you can get the schematics for the dock connector from Apple itself through the "Made for iPod" or "Made for iPhone" program.

Reaction score
are there any obdII interface kits out there that have drivers for OS X, because without that you are going to have a lot of trouble getting anything working even if you could tap into the dock connector to allow for connecting a device. I did some programming for an obdII interface in C# but that was easy because it was through a serial port and the makers of the interface box provided decent documentation for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I think you can get the schematics for the dock connector from Apple itself through the "Made for iPod" or "Made for iPhone" program.

If thats true, then cable problem solved.

are there any obdII interface kits out there that have drivers for OS X, because without that you are going to have a lot of trouble getting anything working even if you could tap into the dock connector to allow for connecting a device. I did some programming for an obdII interface in C# but that was easy because it was through a serial port and the makers of the interface box provided decent documentation for it.

What was that name of the program that can emulate Windows without actually using windows... I think it was called Wine.

EDIT: yup website is www.winehq.org

May be that will take care of the driver issue, if there is none of OS X

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Still I'd like to pussh this further, who would i talk to about that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A car guy/programmer? I know VW uses Vagcom which can be ran 100% from a PC with out using the diagnostics tool, so I believe it would be very possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, iMac, 5th gen iPod, All of my other iMacs have been turned into aquariums!
Awesome Idea! I hope you can make something of it. I think there are amazing things you could do with the iPhone and Touch that have not even been tapped into yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I know i'd buy it.

Reaction score
Who knows someone who could get the program to run on just OSX?

If we can get the software to work with the OBDII-USB cable and a Mac, I am sure we can find someone to make this work on the iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Hmm, I seem to remember a company demonstrating an iPhone web app that was used to access a car's computer wirelessly. I think it could do things like start the car, roll down the windows, and some other things. The car itself was stock as far as I know, so it was all a matter of how the iphone connected.

Maybe someone can dig up that demo or company and figure what they did and how they did it.

EDIT: found an article about the software. It may not be what you're discussing, but it's knocking on the door: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2246496,00.asp

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Thats a bluetooth thing that you wire into anything eletrical on the car.

Saw it on pimp my ride :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.