What is a 3G iPhone

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, but been searching all over the place for info about it and can't find anything.

I'm getting ready to buy the iPhone as soon as my Verizon contract expires in September and want to know if I should wait for the arrival of the 3G iPhone.

thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
3G technologies enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Typically, they provide service at 5-10 Mb per second.

3G actually refers to the network, the phone, if it is 3G, just means it works fully on the new network. Basically much higher bandwidth capabilities.

Stands for 3rd Generation, btw.

OP
R
Reaction score
Typically, they provide service at 5-10 Mb per second.

Thanks for the response. What is the transfer rate on the current iPhone? Do you have a link that provides more info on the 3G iPhone?

In your opinion, is it going to be worth waiting for the 3G or is it just a lot of talk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I have no info on the new iPhone, I was just commenting on what 3G networks are. The current phone works on the EDGE network, which is not fast at all. I have a blackberry for work, and I don't get over 50kbs.

I, personally, would wait, but thats me.

Reaction score
Lots of rumors but that is it. I myself think it will be a long time before we see 3G but that is just my thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally get somewhere in the vicinity of 200kbps, so it's certainly useable. However, this depends on region. When I was in Las Vegas, it was so slow as to be useless.

I wouldn't expect a 3G phone till the Christmas shopping season.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I lived just outside the city limits and achieved 200kbps or higher, downtown I receive like 80kbps so it really depends when it comes to EDGE speeds. I think the average for iPhone users is around 160kbps which is acceptable to me.
According to Wikipedia, data rates for EDGE are around 236kbps and 3G will be 384kbps. I could be reading the data wrong though; there are a lot of #'s that I don't understand. Just go to Wikipedia and search EDGE and 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I was using 3G on my 8525, I was speed testing it somewhere in the 1MB range, sometimes a bit higher. It was pretty quick, especially when I had it tethered to my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
That to me is where the big advantage of the 3G networks come in. It would be great to tether in areas that didn't have a readily available wifi connection.

Reaction score
Personally, I think the 3G iPhone will come out in June. I'm waiting until June to get one myself.

Reaction score
I'm starting to struggle with the urge to buy an iPhone as well. I've got my tax refund coming and that alone will pay for an iPhone and the data plan difference added to my monthly cell phone bill. I'll probably wait until early fall when I head back to grad school to see what happens with it even though it's extremely tempting now but hey, if it comes out in June I'll be buying right then and there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Note that the iPhone is a 2.5G phone (or that's what they claim). So those who are used to using EDGE on their old phones find the iPhone EDGE to be much faster (not as fast as 3G though).

Reaction score
Its coming out in third or fourth quarter.
i have the 8gb phone, its worth it no matter what networking its capable of. Especially when you hack em :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ You mean MS Exchange support? That is pretty much official that the iPhone software version 2.0 is going to be out along with the proper SDK and app store. Whether the 3G iPhone debuts there is yet to be known...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That's exactly what I was gunna say Goobi.
Apple will not announce to the sales people when the iPhone will be released. It is still 100% speculation. I mean, AT&T won't be done setting up the 3G network till the end of the year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.