DSLR - Body only or with kit lens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay.. So as some of you may know.. I'm starting up my own photography/design company with a very good friend of mine (who just graduated a 3-year Advertisement course and pwns in Photoshop/Illustrator)

Long story short, I've outgrown my pro-sumer Kodak Z710 camera.. For what I want to do, it can't.

So, I've always wanted the Canon 400D...

Now, with that being said.. Should I get the body and buy a decent lense, or should I get it with the kit lense and a zoom lense?

I can get the body only 400D body-only for $650 + tax

or

I can get the "kit" and get the EF-S 18-55 Lens and EF 75-300 III USM Lens, 400D Kit for $950

Basically, lense or no lense? That is the question.

This will be my first dSLR and I need[/] it to take photos at the skill level I have aquired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Lenses are everything!! Seriously, you CAN take some good shots with kit lenses, but don't expect that much out of it. Check out photozone's Canon lens reviews, and decide how much you want to spend on lenses. The lenses are way more expensive than the body!

My short answer, save the money on the kit and get some better glass. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I agree with lifeafter2am. Unless you really feel you want the two lenses in the kit I would buy the body only and then get the lenses you really want.

If you're going to do this professionally you will want to get lenses that match the kind of work you will need to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
What are you looking to shoot? Might help with lens selection! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Ok... well.. I shoot mostly sports with some people and macro thrown in. My kit is 17-40 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 100-400 f/4-5.6L. Not the cheapest kit, but I do this semi-professionally.

I am looking at getting a 300mm or 400mm prime lens soon here, something faster than f/5.6.

Reaction score
FWIW, because my pro-photog life was way before the digital revolution, a lens that won't open beyond ƒ4 adds needless complications on a shoot that would be complication-free at the least, or at the worst you miss the pix.

I know I'm out date, and this was before exposures could be "pushed" so easily (though the results, strangely enough, are the same). But wider-aperture lenses are made now for the same reasons they were then.

Because you will be shooting professionally — charging for your services, so reputation is a huge factor — buy the best you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Because you will be shooting professionally — charging for your services, so reputation is a huge factor — buy the best you can.

I could not agree more!!

* I wish I could afford all f/2.8 lenses! :)

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I would love to dump a million dollars on camera gear.. But I'm on limited budget.. I think I might go with the Kit first, and then upgrade later.. At least I'll have lenses then to learn the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I would love to dump a million dollars on camera gear.. But I'm on limited budget.. I think I might go with the Kit first, and then upgrade later.. At least I'll have lenses then to learn the camera.

You can always look at Tamron or Sigma, they make some good glass that is much cheaper than the Canon equivalents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
I would buy the body and forget about the kit lenses. Buy one solid lense to start and work your way up. What will you be shooting. 50mm 1.8, 17-85mm, 28-135, are all decent beginner lenses. Don't forget, it's all about the glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Nature.. portraits (people, animals, etc), macro, scenery.. Weddings, parties, bartmizvah's etc...

Buy a 50mm 1.4 - awesome portrait lense and if you get a reverse mount you can get some solid macro shots as well. Very sharp lense with great results every time. You can find them used for around $250 or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
A reverse mount is VERY hard to focus, especially considering you lose autofocus. I would probably recommend a beginner's macro, like the EF-S 60mm or something.

But yes, the 50mm is a great lens!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, Dual 2GHz Processors, 4GB RAM, MBP, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB iTouch
I can get the body only 400D body-only for $650 + tax

$650 + tax for the body only!

If you don't mind buying online, Amazon sells the XTi with kit lens for about $605 shipped to your door. It carries the same 1 year Canon warranty, you just can't buy an extended warranty like you can at the brick and mortar stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, Dual 2GHz Processors, 4GB RAM, MBP, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB iTouch
Different country. Canada adds its "boat-payment" tax, and buying it through Amazon U.S. has it's own problems, among them, likely, the warranty.

Ah, I didn't notice the location. I need to quit assuming everyone on message forums are from the US.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I forgot to mention that this girl wants me to take photos for her because she's starting in modeling soon. I don't think the Z710 will cut it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If I were you I would seriously consider at least picking up the 50mm f/1.4 as a second lens. Once you see the IQ (image quality) from it, you will think twice about putting your kit lens back on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
For the ordinary hobbyist, your proposed lenses may suffice, but if you're going to charge people for your services, you're going to need the proper tool for the job. Yes, such tools are expensive, but if you are going to become a professional photographer, it's also an investment in your livelihood. Scrimp, borrow and save, but don't waste your time with mediocre gear because you'll soon have to replace them.

BTW, if you are just starting out in photography (the p&s variety doesn't count), the most important investment for you at this point is not in the lens or the camera. Spend some time taking classes at the local community college, invest in some good books, and keep shooting until you've worn-out the shutter of your camera. Learn from your mistakes.

My recommendation for a starter kit are the XTi and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens. From there, work on one genre at a time (nature, macro, sports, portrait, etc.) until you know what your next lens should be. Only you will know what your needs are going forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I forgot to mention that this girl wants me to take photos for her because she's starting in modeling soon. I don't think the Z710 will cut it :(

The z710 can do it, so can the 400D, it's the photographer that may not be able to do it.

You should also buy lots of books and read as much as you can if you want to jump into photography as a business. Taking pro pictures of people is about the lighting. Lighting can be difficult to grasp. Lighting is expensive. Photography is expensive.

I've spent about $5k so far and I'm just getting to where I'm comfortable enough with my kit to charge for photos that I don't think are mediocre.

www.strobist.blogspot.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.