• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie is eating my HD space

Reaction score
OK ... total newbie here , but my wife has been bugging me to get our old 8mm video onto the computer and then on to DVD. I started downloading our tapes and ...WOW.... memory gobbler !:Oops: Is something wrong ? That seems to me to be a lot of DVD's I'll need to convert. Any hints on what I really should be doing would be helpful. BTW , I'm using iMovie 06.

Thanks to any and all help !!
G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Well since nobody else has chimed in, I will. Video takes up a lot of room. You should really consider an external hard drive for storage. Secondly, after you have edited your videos and exported them to iDVD to burn them they will be compressed onto the DVD. You will get about an hour of playtime on a standard DVD, I think. What I do after burning DVDs is make a disc image and store that as it is compressed and delete the original files. Then I can make however many DVDs from the saved image I want.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
This is rough, but one hour of DV takes about 13 gigabytes, while one hour of HDV video takes from 38-50 gb

OP
D
Reaction score
Well since nobody else has chimed in, I will. Video takes up a lot of room. You should really consider an external hard drive for storage. Secondly, after you have edited your videos and exported them to iDVD to burn them they will be compressed onto the DVD. You will get about an hour of playtime on a standard DVD, I think. What I do after burning DVDs is make a disc image and store that as it is compressed and delete the original files. Then I can make however many DVDs from the saved image I want.

Thanks..... I'm not sure I know what you mean by making a disc image. I'll search around and may be back later !!

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
A disc image is like a virtual disc. When you download a program from the internet you are downloading a disc image. In iDVD you can save as disc image, which is an exact copy of the disc as if it were burnt to a dvd. Information that is burnt to a dvd is compressed. So if your project is finished and will not need to be altered any further you can store the image of the disc for further copies instead of saving the project with all the raw uncompressed files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.