Is an iMac a good pc for elementary school kids?

Reaction score
I need to get a family pc and am considering the iMac. I basically want to leave Skype running on it all the time for family to be able to call. Occasionally check email.
5yo will use it to do little kiddie programs/games. Does apple have nice educational software? Also email once she learns to use that.
Would you recommend it for kids?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yes. I find it (and so do many others) much easier to use than Windows. Remember, the iMac runs OS X, so it's not a PC. :) The iMac sounds perfect for you. Maybe even a little too much, if you have a USB mouse and keyboard, and an existing monitor, you could go for a Mac mini to suit your needs! :)

OP
E
Reaction score
That is part of the dilemma. I will pay a premium for apple but the beauty of the iMac is a big draw for me.
I am a little concerned about software compatibility.
For e.g. Yahoo messenger you can only do video but no audio conferencing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Many school districts around the country select the Mac as the computer of choice. You may want to ask your school district what they are using. Choosing a computer with the same operating system that your child will be using at school may be a consideration in the choice of a computer.

My kids have been exposed to both systems by now (the youngest being in 5th grade). Our school district uses both the Mac and the PC. At home, we were a PC family until recently, when I added 2 Macs to several PCs (We will be PC-free within a few years).

Most educational CDs are available for the Mac platform. The same is true of basic applications like word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, email and internet browser. That should not be a concern.

As for the price, you should bear in mind that the Mac is no more expensive than an equally outfitted PC with similar specifications. It's just that Apple does not offer bargain basement computers like some of the major PC mfrs. That's a good thing, because any Mac that you buy will be capable of the basic tasks (and more) that you have in mind without much effort. That's not something one could say about the PC.

Remember too that your time is money. Macs are generally maintenance-free. Software updates happen automatically, there is no need for anti-virus or internet security software, and you will not have to become the "computer guy" in your household because there is rarely anything that can go wrong with the Mac that requires troubleshooting.

Finally, connections to the internet and to printers and other devices are much simpler and often automatic.

For all of the above reasons, I would highly recommend getting a Mac.

Additional comment: My kids love the Mac. That's reason enough to go with a Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Remember, the iMac runs OS X, so it's not a PC. :)
Of course it is. A PC is a Personal Computer. Doesn't matter if that computer was made by Dell, HP, Apple or any other manufacturer... nor does it matter what operating system it runs. The term "PC" always has and always will stand for Personal Computer. An iMac certainly qualifies as such. :)

The colloquialism that "PC" only refers to computer running Microsoft Windows and nothing else is a common mistake. Just because "everyone uses that" doesn't mean it is correct. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Isn't it "PC" because in the good ol days it was either the "IBM PC" vs "Macintosh"? While current macs run on the same x86, it still is a nice thing to differentiate them as PCs and Macs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Isn't it "PC" because in the good ol days it was either the "IBM PC" vs "Macintosh"?
Nope. It's PC because its a Personal Computer.
While current macs run on the same x86, it still is a nice thing to differentiate them as PCs and Macs...
Then you call it what it is... Windows or Mac... or Windows and Linux... or Linux and Mac...etc.

If you are talking about a Windows machine, you call it such. A Windows machine. Talking about a Linux box?... then call it what it is.... a Linux box.
Talking about a Macintohsh?... then call it a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Yep you might as well be one of those people who refer to their computer tower as a cpu or hard drive if you are going to use pc to refer to non mac systems. If windows box is to long you could always use wintel. But of course then that leaves out the possibility for it to be an AMD machine. People saying PC have always bothered me as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In July of 1980, IBM representatives met for the first time with Microsoft's Bill Gates to talk about writing an operating system for IBM's new hush-hush "personal" computer. IBM had been observing the growing personal computer market for some time. They had already made one dismal attempt to crack the market with their IBM 5100. At one point, IBM considered buying the fledgling game company Atari to commandeer Atari's early line of personal computers. However, IBM decided to stick with making their own personal computer line and developed a brand new operating system to go with. The secret plans were referred to as "Project Chess". The code name for the new computer was "Acorn". Twelve engineers, led by William C. Lowe, assembled in Boca Raton, Florida, to design and build the "Acorn". On August 12, 1981, IBM released their new computer, re-named the IBM PC. The "PC" stood for "personal computer" making IBM responsible for popularizing the term "PC".

The first IBM PC ran on a 4.77 MHz Intel 8088 microprocessor. The PC came equipped with 16 kilobytes of memory, expandable to 256k. The PC came with one or two 160k floppy disk drives and an optional color monitor. The price tag started at $1,565, which would be nearly $4,000 today. What really made the IBM PC different from previous IBM computers was that it was the first one built from off the shelf parts (called open architecture) and marketed by outside distributors (Sears & Roebucks and Computerland). The Intel chip was chosen because IBM had already obtained the rights to manufacture the Intel chips. IBM had used the Intel 8086 for use in its Displaywriter Intelligent Typewriter in exchange for giving Intel the rights to IBM's bubble memory technology.
http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa031599.htm

I realise what you guys mean. PC after all is a Personal Computer which is also the function of a mac. However, over time PC has become a proper noun referring to Wintel (and AMD) systems. It's only recently that Linux has taken any hold. And on the other end there were the Macs. Completely different in most respects. But just cause they changed over to x86 Intel, doesn't mean everything has to be changed. OS X is still very different from Windows. So Macs are different from "PCs". Macs are just, different. At least in my views.

(Or soon we will have to call mobile phones and other such 'computers' as PCs. They are, after all, Personal)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Of course it is. A PC is a Personal Computer. Doesn't matter if that computer was made by Dell, HP, Apple or any other manufacturer... nor does it matter what operating system it runs. The term "PC" always has and always will stand for Personal Computer. An iMac certainly qualifies as such. :)

The colloquialism that "PC" only refers to computer running Microsoft Windows and nothing else is a common mistake. Just because "everyone uses that" doesn't mean it is correct. :)

I guess you could say it's not Politically Correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa031599.htm

I realise what you guys mean. PC after all is a Personal Computer which is also the function of a mac. However, over time PC has become a proper noun referring to Wintel (and AMD) systems. It's only recently that Linux has taken any hold. And on the other end there were the Macs. Completely different in most respects. But just cause they changed over to x86 Intel, doesn't mean everything has to be changed. OS X is still very different from Windows. So Macs are different from "PCs". Macs are just, different. At least in my views.

(Or soon we will have to call mobile phones and other such 'computers' as PCs. They are, after all, Personal)

So people that run Windows on Apple computers can't call them Macs if they don't use them for OS X? Because essentially the only thing that would seperate my shiny MBP from a Sony Vaio at that point would be EFI vs Bios and the casing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awright. Yeah. Whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Sorry, but that article is just plain wrong.

The product IBM introduced was not called the "IBM PC." It was the IBM Personal Computer, model 5150. (IBM could never introduce a product without giving it a four-digit numeric model number.)

The 5150 was not the first product to be called a "personal computer," though it was the most popular.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Then why does Apple use the characters called "Mac" and "PC" in their commercials? ZOMG... headache headache headache!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everyone knows the difference between a PC and a mac. Most software boxes also come with "PC" and "Mac". You mean to say that if a box comes with "PC" it means it will run on any personal computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Then why does Apple use the characters called "Mac" and "PC" in their commercials? ZOMG... headache headache headache!
ZOMG!!!111! Apple messed up... they're wrong!!11!

Yeah... I said it. Apple is wrong. :)

Actually, by using the colloquialism, Apple can get by with their marketing ploy that Microsoft Windows, Dell, HP, et al sucks... without directly calling out any competitor by proper name.

This way, they can smear their competition with their sales pitch bovine excrement and they didn't say that any one company in particular sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Gee guys. You've completely and thoroughly hijacked this thread now. :Oops:

I hope you didn't scare away the OP with all this bickering over what to call that contraption used by the dark side. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.