Most important Apps to have on a Mac?

Reaction score
What apps do you install after you buy a new mac? I just need to know whats out there.

On windows I used Photoshop, iTunes, FireFox, and believe it or not FrontPage. So, I am asking...what do you guys use say if you are website designer and somewhat of a graphic designer. Im not fimilar with any software for mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Use photoshop, firefox and itunes for the mac (you can get them, itunes comes with the mac).
For any serious web design, get dreamweaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
If you do much in Cascading Style Sheets you should check out CSSEdit. The inspector alone is worth the price of admission for it.

djs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz
web designing

Hi,
As a newly qualified web designer I taught to use Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Flash Video Encoder and Photoshop. I try to do all designs using CSS, cascading style sheets. Dreamweaver is lovely to use as is Fireworks. I have CS2 installed as a package and then the dreamweaver lot. your pretty much covered then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
seriously, once you get used to Dreamweaver (and it will take sometime being used to publisher) you will never look back.

besides, photoshop works hand in hand with it. it will make you productivity and quality 100's times better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
With all those apps running at once, try Menumeters so you can see in real time your RAM and processor usage. I forget the app name but it puts a few iTunes controls in the top menu so you can flip through songs without stopping what you're doing. :)

It might be called Byte Controller or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
seriously, once you get used to Dreamweaver (and it will take sometime being used to publisher) you will never look back.

besides, photoshop works hand in hand with it. it will make you productivity and quality 100's times better.
I used to always use Dreamweaver. But then I found Coda. It is like a dream come true. The interface is smoking. The features also are really awesome. It's CSS features are legen....wait for it....dary!

I only use Dreamweaver:
- if I have to move several HTML files around, Dreamweaver keeps the links.
- If there's some large amount of text to be laid out.

As for an iTunes helper, check out Coversutra. Really neat music search feature and of course, the usual hotkeys feature. There is also this app Somethingflow. Anyway, it's Coverflow outside of itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
Give the CS3 package a try! you can download the trials from their website, and also request a trail DVD (what i did) with photoshop flash dreamweaver (the usuals).

:)

ALSO! a program i use alot is a program called Paparazzi, tis amazingly handy for taking full screenshots of websites! free too..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram
Quicksilver. You'll never use the launch bar again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If we are talking normal type programs, not limited to graphic design: Onyx, Imagewell, Senuti.

If you take a lot of pictures Lightroom or Aperture is awesome. But in reality, they are really geared towards photographers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I second macdaddy! with quicksilver! (so integrated into my mac experience i forgot to mention it!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to always use Dreamweaver. But then I found Coda. It is like a dream come true. The interface is smoking. The features also are really awesome. It's CSS features are legen....wait for it....dary!

I only use Dreamweaver:
- if I have to move several HTML files around, Dreamweaver keeps the links.
- If there's some large amount of text to be laid out.

As for an iTunes helper, check out Coversutra. Really neat music search feature and of course, the usual hotkeys feature. There is also this app Somethingflow. Anyway, it's Coverflow outside of itunes.

sounds interesting. ill check it out.

OP
eschur21
Reaction score
I like trials...but I like keep the whole thing afterwards and that usually means I need to fork cash out...not after I just bought this lol. I need to get office first and than maybe dreamweaver. Im trying to get rid of my cilents so I can just focus on nursing school but no luck lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
My stepdaughter is a marketing graphic artist that uses CS3, Photoshop, and Office in her older MBP. Mac Mail, rather than Entourage, Firefox, (and I'm testing 3.4 beta with a very positive impression so far), and iPhoto for basic photography needs. The one shortcomings, IMO, is MSN Messenger for Mac. Compared to the Windows version, MSN Messenger for Mac is in the stone age of applications. Woefully unsupported, which may very well be by design rather than accident from Microsoft's part.

Reaction score
I do some web development on the side for work. Basically I've been the guy to develop our Intranet site at my current job and my previous job. I am by no means a professional web developer. That said, I really hate Frontpage and would never willingly use that again. I'm really not a fan of Dreamweaver either, but that may just be due to not knowing enough about what I'm doing with web development. Personally, I simply use jEdit for all of my web development projects. I'm not sure if this is just due to my being a hardcore Unix guy for the past decade or so, not being educated enough to appreciate a tool like Dreamweaver, or simply not taking the time to really learn what Dreamweaver can do.

Anyway good luck.

Reaction score
I design Graphics and develop websites. I use the Adobe CS3 Web Premium Suite with my mac. I also use iTunes, mail, netnewswire, colloquy, safari, itunes and ichat, constantly, they never close.

I also use pages a lot and occasionally keynote to do a quick school project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
I cannot recommend Quicksilver enough. For me, it's the quintessential app. Any Mac that I use without it feels less intuitive. I use it for:

- Launching apps
- Safari bookmark launching
- Google & Wikipedia searches
- Performing calculations
- iTunes library searching
- Universal iTunes playback control
- Display of current track in iTunes, with Growl integration

Its launching abilities far outstrip what Spotlight can do. QS is a bit of a daunting app to get one's head around at first, but if you start out doing simple things like launching apps with it, you'll see how much quicker you can do the most common stuff. Apps and bookmarks can be launched as fast as you can think of them. I really don't use the Dock for very much anymore, thanks to QS. Anyway, give it a shot if any of that sounded interesting!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.