• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

White speckles on footage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I am uploading footage to i-movie and it has white speckles on it, does anybody know the reason for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Are the white speckles in the shadow or dark areas? Dark scenes? I'm just guessing.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
^ Funnily enough yes - only on the night scenes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I believe that the problem is your camera sensor isn't senstitive enough for those dark scenes. This then would be a noise issue of the sensor. My basic understanding is that faults in the sensor (they all have them) cause spikes randomly in the pixels. This can occur both in low light situations and long exposures.

You might be able to put a filter on the content to reduce the noise. I am not familiar with how to do that though. Try an internet search for something like 'video noise reduction'.

P.S.
I once bought and returned a digital still camera that had this problem. After a bit more research I found a better camera.

Video is more challenging I think because you are asking the camera to take an image approximately every 1/30 of a second, so your only control available would be ISO setting, and aperture opening. Increasing ISO brings more noise with it just like faster film does. I think this setting would only be available as 'Night Shot' mode on a consumer camera which have limited if any controls for this problem.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
^ Thanks, one thing worth mentioning is that I was editing footage for someone else. They have a much better camera than me, a small professional one - maybe they didn't have it on the right setting.

I'm more than happy with my little Panasonic - no noise on that. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.