Little help and advice.

Reaction score
Growing up with windows Im used to Office for college work, Im just curious to know if Office for mac is worth the buy. Ive tried to free programs like NeoOffice, and Open Office and to be honest Im not a big fan...and the whole X11 is a little annoying. So is office worth buying?

Also, uninstalling programs in mac is a little different. I am doing it right? After I have installed it by dragging the downloaded program into applications do I just take that program that I have downloaded and I click and drag it to the trash...does that uninstall it? I would like to make sure Im doing it right.

Also, do I have to use "Dock" as a way to access my programs or can I place icons on my desktop. And saving documents...I notice that I have a folder called documents and I have a area that has my user name. What is the point of having documents but saving to my username.

And Im use to the right click in windows for spellcheck, etc what is the the little command to do that in mac if I miss spell something.

Thanks so much for all the help
- Erik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally use Office 2008 and I love it. Much better than the free alternatives, and useful for me as I need 100% compatibility as I have to often submit papers electronically or share them with Windows users.

Most programs can be "uninstalled" by simply dragging them to the Trash. Some programs, like Office or the Adobe suites, have uninstallers. For the type of programs that can be simply trashed, I personally use a program called AppDelete to make sure I get rid of every associated file.

You can most definitely place the icons on your desktop as a means of launching them, but I personally don't see the allure when the Dock is far more convenient.

That Documents folder is actually located inside the folder with your name on it. If you click on your name, you'll see the other folders as well, such as Music, Movies, and Pictures.

Finally, you can also right click in OS X. Either hold the Ctrl button and click, or go into System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse and enable the double tap right click.

OP
eschur21
Reaction score
Kash,

Thanks so much for all the help. It means alot. I too need it to be 100% compatible.

- Erik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I recently got Office 2008:Mac, works properly and files can be opened on both it and Office 2003 Pro on my main machine with ease, works as advertised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
I recently purchased Office 2008 Media edition, and it's great.

Reaction score
Recently removed 2004 and installed 2008 on MBblack. I am pretty happy with it so far. Seems fast enough and pretty stable. I am not exactly using a lot of the features apart from lots of templates in word, excel and mail merge but so far its been pretty good. For £99 I think its well worth the money spent...plus at this price its hard to argue in my eyes...unlike the MS world...office seems to well priced and affordable...Home/Student edition is anyway...has everything I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.