DIY backdrop stand for your light stands

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The caption from my flickr page:

This is a 5-10 minute project. It's a piece of pressboard I had left over from a dismantled computer disk. I used a 1/2" wood bit to drill down into the wood about 1/4" and then a 1/4" drill bit to drill holes for the 20x3/4" screws in the middle of the 1/2" holes. They holes were drill to line up with a 22" piece of sheet metal in the building materials section of homedepot. Washers on the bottom to hold everything in place. Oh, and the piece of metal is straight, you just have to bend it and drill out the holes for the screws. I bent this too close as the backdrop curves on the stand and doesn't give you much room. It needs probably about 5"-6" straight out from the stand before the bend. I drilled the mount screw toward the back to balance off the stand. It's rigged right now with a 1/4" bolt between the two screws until I can find a 1/4" female the female to connect the backdrop stand to the light stand.

You can create a soft box type lighting with just a flash and an umbrella. I also had a 2nd flash bounced off the ceiling to help with shadows on the backdrop.

I built this after seeing the stand in "Light Science and Magic" and e-mailing Phil Hunter about it.

Click pics for the larger versions:

pics taken with:

Edit: Sorry about the small size, they're the size I used in the Strobist discussion group on Flickr. If there's interest and I have time, I'll switch them with the larger versions when I get a moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.