Adding Parallels to a new macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Hi all,

I just decided to add Parallels to my new Macbook and was reading in one Guide that Parallels could import Windows from Boot Camp into the OS/X environment and then I could use my copy of XP in both Boot Camp and Parallels. Has anyone done that, and if so I guess should I put XP in Boot Camp first ??

Thanks for any help,

Noel

Reaction score
ive put in a couple of similar posts in the software section at the very bottom of the home page. Thye should answer your questions.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maccernow,

Thanks. In fact I did read that thread of yours in Other OS's before I posted , but it didn't seem to address the question about XP being in both Boot Camp and OS/X 9 (and could I use just one copy to do that). I didn't find the second post you mentioned.

I'm really curious to find if anyone runs Windows in both places, Boot Camp and OS/X. I felt if that's possible, I could get the speed of the native XP in Boot Camp as well as the convenience of the virtual XP interfacing with OS/X. I just assumed I would have to install Boot Camp first, but still not really sure.

Can you help me there?

Noel

Reaction score
I can say that from my recent troubles with parallels , that you DO NOT use parallels with xp installed in bootcamp. Doing so can render your XP install NOT BOOTABLE under boot camp (though it will still be usable under parallels, but what is the point of that?). I had to reinstall XP in bootcamp to get it to boot again. If you want to be able to do both a virtual machine and bootcamp on the same XP installation, I would go with VMware Fusion. That is what I am using right now, and it has been trouble free so far.

While parallels may get this problem fixed in the future, I have to do work, and I don't have time to try to fix this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not sure what sort of problem you've been having Franchise, but I can say that there is definitely no issue with running Parallels and Boot Camp.

Noels, you should definitely install Windows via Boot Camp first, and then when you install Parallels, point it to your Boot Camp partition during the setup wizard.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Franchise and Kash,

Thanks for the differing viewpoints. Kash, I'm glad to hear you reinforcing what I thought I had read. I believe I'll re-read the Parallels Guide that I think was what told me I could use them both, but in any case will start with Boot Camp and see how I like that, then move on.

I'll give you all some feedback in the next few days,

Noel

BTW, If I have any problems in the near future, I'm sure I'll be back looking for help :)

Reaction score
And you guys have answered my questions which ive been shouting out for. i think i time my posts wrong.. Anyway thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.