• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem moving iMovie Project to new computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
I have created an iMovie project on one computer and made a copy to a flash drive and now I want to edit it on a different computer. The original computer is an older Mac running Tiger. I don't know what version of iMovie. The new computer is a iMac Intel Core Duo running Leopard. The files on the flash drive consist of a folder with the name of my project and in that folder is a Media folder which contains all the clips, transitions etc. and the.mov file and another file which I am not clear on what it is but the file name given to it by iMovie is .IMovieProj. I have tried to Open and or Import this project into iMovie on the new computer but all I can do is copy the individual clips, transitions etc. There are clips that are not part of the timeline movie so I am not sure what I am looking at here. The .mov file plays and is the correct video of the project. How do I import this project so that I can edit it from where I left off on the other computer? If I figure out how to do this will I be able to go back to the other computer and continue edits there? Thanks

Kent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Since you didn't say, I'll have to assume you are trying to use iMovie 08 on your system.

The file extension tells me that the project is coming from a version of iMovie that is previous to iMovie 08. If you are trying to import that into iM08, then you are limited to what will be imported. In this case, your best bet is to download iMovie HD from Apple. This is for users of iM08 that still what the abilities for the older version or the full compatibility with older projects.

You say the extension is .IMovieProj but I notice on my latest iMHD project the extension is .iMovieProject, so I have to wonder if you typed it wrong, or it is from yet an older version.

If you are concerned about taking the project back to the other computer, then do you homework and find out which version of iMovie is on that system. I have my doubts you could take an iMovie HD project and edit on an older version. You definitely cannot take an iMovie 08 project back to an older version of iMovie.

iMovie 08 is version 7.x.x.
iMovie HD is version 6.x.x, the download one is 6.0.4.
You can find this out via the Finder by selecting the application, not double clicking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.