Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Repair store stole/replaced my "working" components, need help with evidence
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    10,029
    So again, I don't understand your position here Patrick. You're worried about some guy here (me) bad mouthing a shop on the internet, when I never spoke a name and haven't said anything anywhere else like social media.


    Gheese!!! NOT AT ALL and you are reading and assuming things here I did not say or even imply.

    So much for trying to help, and I'm out of here!!! Bye!! And good luck!!


    PS: Was there some special reason you took the photo of your MBAir back in 2016??? Just curious.


    PPS: And just for something else to wonder about, maybe they didn't switch any parts in your MBAir and maybe just returned you some other similar unit they had lying around. So many possibilities. But probably someway to get a working MB Air out of all the bits and pieces and some co-operation and at least a decent monetary outlay for the repairs if successful.






    - Patrick
    ======

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Just bet it wasn't an Apple Store or Reseller? Water + electronics = death so maybe you are not as far out of pocket as you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    And Macs do not have BIOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    There is no such thing as a 'small' spill. They are all major.


    Hello Harry.

    There's enough evidence exposed about possibly exchanged components. The main TOPIC here is, ways to find out if a logic board has been replaced. Your 3 comments about "oh i bet it wasnt an authorized shop", terrible water spilling and NO BIOS have been very VERY helpful.

    It's the first time I encounter this kind of interaction in a tech community. Are you guys just mad that I did something wrong to a precious APPLE product? I don't get it. You know an apple authorized service told me they would not take in my machine because it was older than 2013 and those models and their repair parts are discontinued. So yeah, I took it elsewhere.

    And your comment about MACs not having "BIOS". Ok yea sure, they have no BIOS, or at LEAST it's just not called like that. But you probably understood that I was looking for some type of accesible memory in the logic board, basically an equivalent to a BIOS on a PC. A damn EFI, that in PC is called BIOS and in MAC a NVRaM. But yeah, your comment was again, very helpful.
    Last edited by Kartveli; 11-08-2018 at 05:54 PM.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Gheese!!! NOT AT ALL and you are reading and assuming things here I did not say or even imply.

    So much for trying to help, and I'm out of here!!! Bye!! And good luck!!


    PS: Was there some special reason you took the photo of your MBAir back in 2016??? Just curious.


    PPS: And just for something else to wonder about, maybe they didn't switch any parts in your MBAir and maybe just returned you some other similar unit they had lying around. So many possibilities. But probably someway to get a working MB Air out of all the bits and pieces and some co-operation and at least a decent monetary outlay for the repairs if successful.






    - Patrick
    ======
    Patrick because if you guys would stick on the matter, which is how to find out if a logic board has been replaced (that could be useful for others maybe), we could find out in fact if the shop has done something bad or if I'm just a paranoid complaining cry baby. Or we would just learn HOW TO CHECK THE LOGIC BOARD, no matter the outcome of my story.

    And maybe you should also take a look at it from my side, I could be right and feel that I've been cheated. It's not a bad cause to help out with.

    I mean I get it, water spill could've destroyed the logic I kNOW. But it didn't for a very long time, and it worked fine with the already affected components. And series numbers have changed, and the battery. I mean it's enough to look into dont you think.

    And if more components have been changed, or the whole thing (which it doesn't look like it) it wouldn't matter much, the most expensive thing that I SUSPECT that has been changed, the logic board, is dead. It would now cost even more money to repair.

    In answer to your question. I took the photo when I first opened the lid and saw that the SSD was made by Samsung, shared with my friends and had some laughs about it. (AND CLEANED IT UP AFTER BTW, even though it was for the first time. Before that I thought it was forbidden by apple police to open your computers)

    P.S. Imagine if I had put just that in the thread topic (now I def. feel like I should have), "how to find out if logic board is not the original" I would've probably gotten more specific answers and not this talk about how this was bad, and that was bad, and maybe this happened or it didn't. But I felt like sharing the whole story, I mean I thought it was the right best way to expose my problem.


    DONT LEAVE ME PATRICK, HELP ME!
    Last edited by Kartveli; 11-08-2018 at 06:05 PM.

  4. #19
    Repair store stole/replaced my "working" components, need help with evidence
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    4,727
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Kartveli, the board has a been changed. Too many components don't match in the picture. No shop would replace all those components before they gave up. So, there, that's the answer. You don't need to power it up to read the serials on the chips to see it's not the same board.

    Water damage is very often cumulative because the initial spill lets current flow where it's not designed to flow, and components can be stressed electrically by that unplanned current flow. As a result, those stressed components then put more stress on other components in the circuit and over time, something fails. So a water-damaged computer may be able to run for a while, but eventually it will have issues as a result. It is very rare that a water damaged computer can escape the inevitability of the consequences.

    Now you may not care, but what I would suggest is to take the picture of what was in the system, along with the Mac itself, back to the shop and show them the picture and ask if it is possible that they may have put the incorrect motherboard back into your computer by mistake. You may find that they are surprised by that possibility and will work with you to get the original board back for you, if it's not too late. (They may have disposed of the board already if it's been a while.) If you are reasonably pleasant, they should be open to at least a discussion of how to proceed.

    Good luck with it.
    Jake

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Kartveli, the board has a been changed. Too many components don't match in the picture. No shop would replace all those components before they gave up. So, there, that's the answer. You don't need to power it up to read the serials on the chips to see it's not the same board.

    Water damage is very often cumulative because the initial spill lets current flow where it's not designed to flow, and components can be stressed electrically by that unplanned current flow. As a result, those stressed components then put more stress on other components in the circuit and over time, something fails. So a water-damaged computer may be able to run for a while, but eventually it will have issues as a result. It is very rare that a water damaged computer can escape the inevitability of the consequences.

    Now you may not care, but what I would suggest is to take the picture of what was in the system, along with the Mac itself, back to the shop and show them the picture and ask if it is possible that they may have put the incorrect motherboard back into your computer by mistake. You may find that they are surprised by that possibility and will work with you to get the original board back for you, if it's not too late. (They may have disposed of the board already if it's been a while.) If you are reasonably pleasant, they should be open to at least a discussion of how to proceed.

    Good luck with it.
    Hi Jake,

    Thanks for your input, sadly even though I was suspicious and expected this to be (if correct) done on purpose because not only the logic but also the battery were different, I still approached the matter with caution and did expose the facts and show the photo in a very normal matter as if this could've been a misunderstanding. So much that, I didn't really care about writing down a complaint and bashing them on google and social media I was really hoping for it to be a mistake, or EVEN if it wasn't I was hoping for a back down and them giving back what they took and calling it all a mistake.

    But none of those were the answer, I showed the photo and he said "Oh right yeah, those components with the numbers that are different on the logic board, we changed them to narrow down the affected area". As if they were saying, if that's the only reason you have to think it's not yours, here's an answer. Other than that, he told me that they number the boards when they take them off with a marker and checked really quickly other 2 boards he had laying around of same model that also didn't have those r88D components with my code number.

    He also did one more interesting thing. It took me a while to pick up the notebook after saying no to the budget. So he explained to me that if they were trying to do something dodgy or make money out of their clients, he couldve charged me money for the extended time they had to keep my computer in the shop, which they didn't BECAUSE THEY're nice. But honestly saying something like that felt more like an excuse because when I first picked up the computer and had no complaints, they said nothing about them forgiving me for the "late pick up fee".

    Anyway, what I meant to say is that I tried the good approach, gave them a chance to do right (all of this of course assuming that they did replace it) but no, he stood his ground and said they can't help me.

  6. #21
    Repair store stole/replaced my "working" components, need help with evidence
    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 01, 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    4,727
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Then you are done. You have no legal evidence to prove the picture is of your machine at the time you say you took it, so that's just your word against theirs. The changed components are then also irrelevant as you cannot even prove they were swapped or that the board currently in the system is not yours. The board doesn't work, so you can't see what the electronic serial is and there is no way that I know of to get that data out of the EFI without the board working. And frankly, it's not worth pursuing it given the age of the MBP. It would cost too much to try to get the board working (if it's even possible) and the machine isn't worth the money it might cost to try to do that.

    So I'd recommend just recycling the MBP, or maybe sell it for parts (being sure to say that it does NOT work), and moving on.
    Jake

  7. #22
    Repair store stole/replaced my "working" components, need help with evidence
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    24,966
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.1 Mojave,
    What a bore!!!!!!!

    You don't take it to an Apple Reseller or Store, ask for help and dump on everyone. It really is time the thread was closed.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Then you are done. You have no legal evidence to prove the picture is of your machine at the time you say you took it, so that's just your word against theirs. The changed components are then also irrelevant as you cannot even prove they were swapped or that the board currently in the system is not yours. The board doesn't work, so you can't see what the electronic serial is and there is no way that I know of to get that data out of the EFI without the board working. And frankly, it's not worth pursuing it given the age of the MBP. It would cost too much to try to get the board working (if it's even possible) and the machine isn't worth the money it might cost to try to do that.

    So I'd recommend just recycling the MBP, or maybe sell it for parts (being sure to say that it does NOT work), and moving on.
    Sadly, I pretty much know that even if I'm right this will be the outcome, and I will not get anything out of this but I might as well try, maybe they will do something out of shame.

    But you know before going there to confront them I had doubts, maybe even if was right and the swap happened, I hoped for it to be a mistake. But when he said "oh we changed those small parts in the logic on purpose"... Well if I can be sure that the board was swapped, and he lied straight to my face I will at least feel some satisfaction going back in there and calling him a lying piece of sh**.
    Last edited by Kartveli; 11-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    What a bore!!!!!!!

    You don't take it to an Apple Reseller or Store, ask for help and dump on everyone. It really is time the thread was closed.
    I will quote myself, THE ONLY authorized apple repair store in my town said they don't service discontinued models (older than 2013).

    Some people actually have helped, and I'm very thankful to them no matter if they agree with me or not.

    But it's ok. You're free to not look at this thread so I don't understand your complaint.
    Last edited by Kartveli; 11-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.

  10. #25
    Repair store stole/replaced my "working" components, need help with evidence
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    56,599
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 7+, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @Kartveli:

    As I stated to you previously, there's really nothing more that we can advise you to do. The logic board appears to have been changed as I and Jake have both stated to you. If you can prove that, then perhaps you can do something about it legally. If not, then chalk it up to a bad experience and move on.

    We are now going to close out this thread.

    Thanks to everyone for their participation.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "C" Key Not Working (Replaced by Command + C)
    By etw3p in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM
  3. iPhone 4> App Store "Search" function not working
    By Vegas_baby99 in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
  4. "Successfully" replaced HDD in 20" iMac 5.1, now no sound.
    By dcharlesworth in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
  5. finished running "Repair Permissions" and couldn't repair some
    By flauri in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •