would this work, to get a 3G S at subsidy pricing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Just curious if this would work. If someone is not eligible for an upgrade, can they have someone else who is eligible buy it at the subsidized price, not activate it in store, and give it to them, at which point they will just swap out the sim for the sim in their iPhone 3G?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Just curious if this would work. If someone is not eligible for an upgrade, can they have someone else who is eligible buy it at the subsidized price, not activate it in store, and give it to them, at which point they will just swap out the sim for the sim in their iPhone 3G?

No. It has to be activated in-store.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
No. It has to be activated in-store.

Apple allows you to order it online to be shipped directly to your home... Plus, when I picked mine up from the apple store, they asked me if I wanted to activate it in store or at home...

Reaction score
Will not work. If you do not activate a qualifying service on the phone at the subsidized price, they will bill your credit card the full price for the phone. In fact, they may even put a hold on your credit card for the full amount until the activation has been validated and then they would release the hold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Not sure where you are but that works just fine in Canada. just put your sim in and add an iphone plan and go

Reaction score
Not sure where you are but that works just fine in Canada. just put your sim in and add an iphone plan and go

Check your contract date. Everything may work fine, but at the touch of a button your contract may have been extended to reflect the subsidized price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Check your contract date. Everything may work fine, but at the touch of a button your contract may have been extended to reflect the subsidized price.

Of course the contract date was extended. The contract on the acct I upgraded but not the acct I have the new phone on. I didn't get the impression the OP wanted to not sign a contract but get a subsidized phone from a friend. The friends contract would be extended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.