• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Words of Wisdom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Canada is too cold for my blood. My plan is to secede and build a big wall around my property. . . ;)

Actually it can get pretty darn hot up here and those "cooler" appearing temps just seem to be cold as they're usually in celeries rather than the higher furenhite as used in the U.S.A. And BTW, can you actually secede when you live "In Denial" or if Donald would let you, but he'll probably appreciate you building your own wall so he won't have to spend any of his money doing so. ;)

Actually even Donald himself, actually his wife I believe, thought Vancouver B.C. was a pretty nice place and someone made the mistake to let him in to build the high end Trump International Hotel & Tower high-rise. :$ :Cool: :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Yes it is, it's May and I've been running my central air already!

I would think Patrick is kidding, most Canadians would be expressing their apology at offending anyone pretty quick ;)

Well most of us anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You fellows up in Toronto actually have central air in your homes? As a kid living in New York, the only central air we ever experienced is when we took in a movie in the Summer. Living here in Fort Worth, Texas air conditioning is a must.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
**** yeah! Everyone I know does! (Unless you're unlucky enough to be in a flat or similar rental with no CA so it a window unit...) you'd die from heat here in the summers without, super humid Summer's here, same as NY here. I don't think the slight distance north helps us out in any way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, I kind of forgot that Toronto sits right on Lake Ontario. Yeah, I guess it does get pretty humid up there in the Summer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually not a bad place to sit. Generally in winters we get the cold, but we often miss out on the snow unless you're north or the city. It's like a line, so many nights coming back from playing a show we'd drive through a horrendous snow storm and when you get within a few miles of the north Toronto limits, zero.

But Buffalo and surrounding to the south of Lake Ontario! Those poor guys get nailed every winter while we watch!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If we get an inch of snow here everything shuts down for 3 days . . .

The above is not an exaggeration by the way, or at least not much of one. It may take a couple of inches to really close things down. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Unusual to get away from the topic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I noticed that! A tour in the south I recall an inch or so of a "freak snow storm" (they called it) in I think it was Chattanooga? Everything was shut down and cars were sliding everywhere! I guess they don't do all season tires? Words of wisdom, if you plan to high tail it to Canada in the event of the great trumpet, make sure you have at least all season tires! I seem to recall at one point they were going to make snow tires in winter mandatory here.

We have bad political parties here too. And everyone fights about which is worse here too.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We're all planning to join Harry at oceanside in beautiful Nambucca Heads, Australia. I don't drink but I'm sure Harry will have some good Australian tea (iced) waiting for me. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We have to stick together Charlie. Liptons Peach Ice Tea in fact!

Just give me a week's notice and I will be in Tonga alas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. Far too many deadly creepy crawly and other types of critters for me there. And I'd be off kilter with the opposite seasons. Many good Australian, and New Zealander friends, but nope for me :)

But then our darker days are over and our new gluten free yoga master prime minister has declared "sunny ways" for us here. Hopefully he can help with some of our Canadian winters here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Words of wisdom, if you plan to high tail it to Canada in the event of the great trumpet, make sure you have at least all season tires! I seem to recall at one point they were going to make snow tires in winter mandatory here.

Actually that's a very valid point, and heck Calgary Alberta got a good dump of snow just a week or so ago, and as for mandatory winter tires:

Quebec
Only the province of Quebec, which instituted law 42 in 2007, requires that all motorists install four winter tires on their vehicle, from December 15 to March 15. But there are certain similar laws elsewhere in Canada.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/tips/are-winter-tires-required-by-law-in-all-canadian-provinces/

At least we still don't have to winterize our Macs up here, at least so far…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spent a year in Northern Quebec at a joint RCAF - USAF Norad base (during a tour with the USAF) and I can assure you that you will go nowhere without four good snow tires or chains on your vehicle. We used 4 wheel drive military vehicles to get around that had chains on them and it was not unusual to get stuck. The year I was there we had 265" of snow. I still have photos of myself between 2 giant mountains of snow that were as high and sometimes over the height of the barracks roofs. Beautiful country though. The Summer was nice, lots of Pine trees and Mosquitoes as large as birds.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I spent a year in Northern Quebec at a joint RCAF - USAF Norad base (during a tour with the USAF) and I can assure you that you will go nowhere without four good snow tires or chains on your vehicle. We used 4 wheel drive military vehicles to get around that had chains on them and it was not unusual to get stuck. The year I was there we had 265" of snow. I still have photos of myself between 2 giant mountains of snow that were as high and sometimes over the height of the barracks roofs.

This was before "Global Warming" Charlie!;) Now it's bermuda shorts & convertible tops all year round!!;);) LOL

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Northern Quebec, now there you'll find the real stereotypical "Canadian winters" people often think we get in southern Ontario. I've had the fun of driving from sea to shining sea here across this country many many times (as I have the US) and the climate varies greatly here as it does in the US. We don't get near the snow and wild storms seen north of us, probably why most live down here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This was before "Global Warming" Charlie!;)
- Nick
Anyone living where Charlie and I do knew about global warming years ago. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone living where Charlie and I do knew about global warming years ago. :Mischievous:

Speaking of which, I trust you have all survived all your recent floods and crazy weather lately in those areas…???

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We are good here in North Louisiana. Got some flooding in early March so some folks are still dealing with the damage from that. My area also got some pretty big storms last week and the Houston area in Texas is getting it pretty good today. Hopefully Charlie has some tricks up his sleeve to keep the rain out of his area for a while.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Dallas - Fort Worth area received quite a bit of rain enough to create some flash flooding in low lying areas. You can always read about some guy or gal who drove through water only to find out it was actually a swift moving stream of water. My grass is nice and green this year (for a change). Glad I have a lawn service. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.