Witts End With Parallels and Windows 7

Reaction score
I am running an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Because I require Explorer for work (real estate programs non compatible with Mac) I purchased Paralles4 and Windows 7. After three days of total frustration I am at my witts end.

Each time I start Windows 7 my computer grinds to a snail pace and is basically unproductive. I also get a error through my disk utility program of:

Invalid volume file count
(It should be 594561 instead of 594562)
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 157800 instead of 157799)
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

I repair it but it only comes back. I do not want to buy a PC but fear I may have to as this is starting to affect my work and loss of revenue.

Any feedback appreciated!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First thing you need to do is get some RAM. There's no way you'll run OS X, parallels and Win 7 even remotely acceptable with 1GB of RAM. The machine itself should be quite capable, I do it on my MBP with the 2.33 Ghz.

Have you repaired the disk booted from your original Tiger disc that came with the machine? It's possible you may have a failing drive, but I'd at least try that.

Worst case from the info you've supplied so far is a new drive and more RAM - under under $200, maybe $150. If all else is working, that machine should last at least a couple more years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.