Will upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur break external Bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / 80 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
I think I've asked this question before here so I'm reposting in case more info has come to light. My external SSD BC is running fine and has done since June but I'm not sure if upgrading to Monterey from OS 11.6 will break it. Any thoughts much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Running Boot Camp on an external drive as you know is not supported by Apple or Microsoft. If you have it running okay now there is no guarantee that it will continue to do so after upgrading to Monterey.

Monterey is now up to 12.1 and has increased security and a complete lock down of the System. You might be wise to leave well enough alone if you really need Boot Camp to work.

OP
Kryten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, thank you CH. I actually only use BC for gaming, but none the less I enjoy it. My doubts are the same about upgrading so I will probably not update since 11.6 does everything I need until I am forced to by Adobe CC which hopefully will not be for a while. Thank you for your reply.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Boot Camp is most likely going to fall to the wayside in terms of official support given the move to ARM so the newer the versions of macOS you start using, the greater the risk that things stop working. I only say that to suggest that if Boot Camp is really important for what you need, you might need to weigh upgrading or, better yet, do thorough research beforehand to see how well BC is (or isn't) working.

So, in short, I'll echo chscag's suggestion.

OP
Kryten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once I had the driver issues sorted BC on Win 10 worked perfectly apart from a bluetooth problem but I work around that. I'm heading for 73 in a few weeks so perhaps then I'll grown up and stop playing games....about time I hear you say...!
Thanks for your input gentlemen.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Boot Camp is most likely going to fall to the wayside in terms of official support given the move to ARM so the newer the versions of macOS you start using, the greater the risk that things stop working. I only say that to suggest that if Boot Camp is really important for what you need, you might need to weigh upgrading or, better yet, do thorough research beforehand to see how well BC is (or isn't) working.

So, in short, I'll echo chscag's suggestion.

How wonderful to have you back after all these months/years. Keep posting.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Bryan:

Long time no see in the forums. Glad that you're still thinking of us once in awhile. We miss you.

Charlie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks team! I'm glad to be back and hope to be a continued presence here again after an overly long absence.

OP
Kryten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this thread may not have much interest to people, but I thought I'd draw a line under it anyway. The upgrade from 11.6 to 12.4 had no affect on the external BC. In fact once booted into Win10, Apple updated the drivers.

Reaction score
I know this thread may not have much interest to people, but I thought I'd draw a line under it anyway. The upgrade from 11.6 to 12.4 had no affect on the external BC. In fact once booted into Win10, Apple updated the drivers.
What driver?
Can you also clarify if you have M1 or Intel? That's a crucial difference.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What driver?
Can you also clarify if you have M1 or Intel? That's a crucial difference.
Boot camp drivers to make Windows work properly. It's obviously Intel, since M1 doesn't have Boot Camp support since there is no official released version of Windows that supports the M1 chip. There is a beta ARM version that can be used.

Reaction score
Reason why I wanted to use Virtualization, but I failed with Linux, no GUI working as of today...
I used UTM but the GUI issue is still not fixed after years...
Only MacOS works in virtualization, but it's pointless to virtualize the same OS and architecture...
One thing is sure, it's incredibly fast, it feels a native OS.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Reason why I wanted to use Virtualization, but I failed with Linux, no GUI working as of today...
I used UTM but the GUI issue is still not fixed after years...
Only MacOS works in virtualization, but it's pointless to virtualize the same OS and architecture...
One thing is sure, it's incredibly fast, it feels a native OS.
Grab VirtualBox for free, and grab the Desktop version of Ubuntu and you'll have a full featured GUI-based Linux distro in no time at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.