Wifi selecting wrong router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum, but I can't find one that fits? Please feel frre to move it if necessary.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13 running El Capitan. I am having intermittent problems with ethernet on my French Orange Livebox Play router and I tend to run it using wifi. I'm chasing the ethernet problem.

If i shut the lid and walk away from the MBP for a while then when I return, and open the lid I can't get a wifi connection. When I look at the wifi status it shows it linked on to another router. I have no idea where or what the other router is? My router is about 8' away from the MBP and the very closest the other can be is well over 30 or 40 yards away. It's annoying for me, but if/when it happens to my wife???

Is there any way that I can delete this intruder from the list on my machine? I know that on my Android phone I can 'forget' other routers, but I can't find a way of doing it on here?

Any ideas please folks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In System Preferences > Network, then select "Advanced" button. You should be able to delete whichever you want, you may need to use admin password to "unlock" them.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you for that Ferrarr. I hadn't realised just how many routers were on that list, but the offender isn't there at the moment?

It appears intermittently so I will keep an eye out for it and see if I can get rid of it? I am surprised that the profile isn't on the list though?

Edit : - Nearly forgot. Ta for whoever moved it to the right place. I must have had my brain cell failure again??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sitting at my desk I check my network connection and find I have no less than nine other networks listed. Two are not fully protected - see no little padlock? Whoops make that ten and three not fully protected. So they must appear as they are activated which would account for the coming and going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
You need to be sure that the list of WiFi networks is in the correct order, too. Your most preferred network at the top. I have two different networks in my house - one is 2.4Ghz and the other is 5GHz. I have to list the 2.4GHz network higher in the list to be sure that my Mac will use the correct network. Otherwise, it will try to connect to the 5GHz network even when I'm not close enough and the 2.4GHz network has a stronger signal.

I don't remove the 5GHz from the list because I also access these networks from my mobile devices and all of the networks are synced among the devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.