Wi-fi "weak security" warning

Reaction score
I just got an alert from Xfinity that I was exceeding my data allowance on my home Internet. This is the first time I can recall getting this message, even though I've not been using the Internet differently than I normally do. I also noticed that downloads were unusually slow. So I started to wonder if some unauthorized person might be tapping into my Internet Wi-Fi signal.

I went to the Xfinity site/app for instructions, and I saw that Xfinity was part of a data breach not too long ago, so that added to my suspicions. I changed both my Xfinity password (two factor authentication) and my Wi-Fi password.

However, when I went to change the password on my iPhone, in Settings > Wi-Fi, under the name of my Wi-Fi network it says I have "weak security."

I don't understand why Xfinity, when they came over to my house to install my router and Internet, did not set it up with strong security in the first place. Has the security protocol changed since then?

I tapped on the info button next to the warning on my iPhone and a long webpage came up and now I'm trying to get a complete education in Internet security

It seemed apparent that I needed to contact Xfinity on this. I did so by chat and they said security is done automatically and continuously at Xfinity headquarters and they always set all their modems and accounts on the best protection from their end.

I guess I just need confirmation that it’s okay to disregard this iPhone security message.

IMG_8847.PNG

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That "weak security" warning is an indication that you're using WPA or WPA2 password for your WiFi network. They are now deemed inferior to the newer WPA3 that's available on newer routers. So the next time you upgrade your router, you'll have "strong security" until it's deemed inferior again.

Don't pay too much attention to that specific warning. Ensure that you do have a network password that only you or trusted folks know.

Also understand that if you are on a ISP package with a set amount of download cap, then your speed will be slowed down until the counts reset in a the new month.

While your Internet usage might not have change, apps and OS' now assume always on and available Internet and continually access things, get updates and so on.

You should talk to Xfinity and see what it would take to get onto an uncapped account and determine if it is fiscally reasonable to change. You might also want to log into the router to see if it has the ability of telling you how much traffic is passing through it on a daily basis and by which device.

I'm on a Verizon FiOS 1 Gig plan with uncapped usage and haven't checked how much traffic I use. I do use a lot since my wife and I work from home and are constantly online.

For my own curiosity, I've enabled traffic monitoring on my router to see how much data I'm downloading and uploading.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I limited the speed of my plan to cover the cost of an "uncapped" plan. So long as your speed is sufficient eg. enough for live streaming (if you do that) then you're covered. For example, I don't need very fast upload speeds but download speeds of 25/10 mbps fulfil our needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.