Why Image Capture so slow?

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just done a Christmas day media dump from my GoPro to my Mac Air. Via Image Capture.

Each time I use this program, regardless of device it is coming from, the transfer rates are insanely slow. Insanely slow. And insanely glitchy.
USB-C can pass 10GB per second - it has taken me over an hour to get 10GB worth of media out of my 2022 GoPro and onto my 2022 laptop.

I surely need to correct a setting on the Air to get things moving a little faster. Or otherwise I need to look into other programs for the job.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is it doing a simple transfer, or converting while transferring? There's a discussion on StackExchange where someone had a similar problem. It involved an iPhone in this person's case, but according to one answer, there should be a setting in Image Capture to "Keep Originals" turned on. I don't see any such option on my Mac though when connected to my iPhone.

The only other thing to try is a different cable. Also, if you are using a hub, try bypassing that and connect directly to the Mac to see if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a few new GoPro files today so imported through my M1 Mini instead - it took no time at all. So unless the GoPro has performance issues exporting files above a certain size, it must be something specific to my Air laptop.

Googling Image Capture and there is no shortage of people wanting troubleshoots for similar problems, so I might just look at alternative programs to see if they're an improvement.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You might want to get a SD card reader and plug that into the Air and copy the data out way faster and then you import it whatever application you want to organize it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.