Why does Airport Utility keep starting on its own?

Reaction score
I have an older MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) with 8 GB memory running OS X El Capitan (10.11.6). Recently I have had multiple problems with the machine, but a new one just appeared. Within a few minutes of logging in Airport Utility opens with an orange amber dot flashing to the left of my AirPort Time Capsule name and a "1" in a red circle just to the right of the Time Capsule name (Version 7.6.7). There is no explanation for either the flashing orange dot or the red 1 anywhere I can find, including a brief scan of logs in Console. I appreciate any support you can provide.

AirPort Utility.jpg

Thanks
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
As far as the orange flashing light goes, rebooting the router/time capsule usually takes care of that.

If you don't want Airport Utility to open when there is a network problem, you can turn off the option in Airport Utility's Preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 6.31.21 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
By the way, the 1 in the circle indicates that your router is trying to tell you something. In this case it will let you know which error is causing the orange flashing light. It also appears when there is an update available for the router.

Clicking on any of the routers pictured in the app will give extended information about that router, including any error conditions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.