White square on the screen of MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have noticed twice now over the past couple of days that a white square has appeared just left and down from centre screen. It's about 1" square. It is there for all programs that I have tried and if the cursor is placed on it then I can't scroll, but when I an typing the text in and it runs through the square it types correctly even although I can't see it until I put the cursor on another part of the screen and scroll.

I think it was yesterday it first appeared and I got rid of it by rebooting, but like the bad penny, it's back again!!

Any idears please folks???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try shutting down and booting up using Safe Boot mode and do what you usually do and see if the problem disappears.

If it does, then it probably from some third party software you've installed recently. The question will be to find out what!!! ;)

To get back to "normal" operation, just Restart normally.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
That's the problem really because when it's rebooted in normal mode the square disappears. It's only happened twice and the MBP has been on for ages when it does. We don't normally shut it down for days, just put it into sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's going to be quite a fiddly task to trace down such an intermittent quirk!!

You could try taking a look at your Activity Monitor and taking some screen shots of what's normally running for some reference as to what your Mac is doing.

Something obvious might just show up and be obvious the next time it happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.