Which Mac Mini Monitor ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
My late 2014 mac mini (purchased new in 2017) has been working fine with my 24" Apple monitor Model Number A1267. However the logic board went AWOL last week and is being repaired (by Apple) as I write.

I bought a new 2018 mac mini only to discover it doesn't work with this older monitor. The thunderbolt ports have changed and the older t/b plugs coming out of the back of the monitor don't fit. Moreover, Apple don't make any adaptor for this (they tell me) AND two different non-Apple MiniDisplay adapters I got from Amazon don't work either.

So here's my question; which monitors on the market will work with the 2018 mac mini ? One Apple Chat I had informed that there was only one Apple monitor that would do the job but had a massive 36" screen ! I can't accommodate anything bigger than my current 24".

I could just plough on with the repaired 2014 mac mini when it arrives of course, but it would only by putting off the inevitable.

Thanks for reading so far and looking forward to some advice.

Oh, and by the way, I'm writing this on my wife's MacBook pro. And thank heaven for iPhones. You need them to get emails when your computer is down !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Ah thanks for that 'L'.

Here's a picture of the leads coming out of the back of the 'old' monitor. The little mains one, redundant for a mac mini; I presume the middle one is what you called a 'mini display' lead and the one of the right is a USB I believed. I don't see what I thought was a HDMI lead ?

My 2014 mac mini required these two connected.

So question 1. You say there is an adaptor for the mini display to the thunderbolt 3 port on the 2018 mac mini ? A link to this would be great as I have tried 3 adaptors unsuccessfully.

Q2. I presume the USB lead attaches as well to the USB port on the 2018 mac mini.

But puzzled about the mention of a HDMI port ?

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
His 2014 Mac Mini likewise has an HDMI port. But like "Life" stated, there is no reason to purchase a new monitor since the one he has will work with his new Mini if he uses the correct adapter as Bob pointed out above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the 2018 Mac Mini should have an HDMI port. You would need an HDMI to Mini Display Port cable or adapter, your choice.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter 2 Pack, Benfei Mini DP(Thunderbolt) to …
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Display Adapter Cable - 6 Feet (Personal Computer Product)

I had the cable in the second link when I was using my 2011 MBP, but is was too long, when I went to my 2014 MM.

It looks like the monitor doesn’t have a mini-DisplayPort “port”, but rather a cable coming from the monitor. That’s what his photo looks like and I now vaguely recall that being how these monitors were wired up, from what I can remember when I had an older one some time back. If that’s the case, those cables won’t work. He’ll need a female mini-DP adapter to HDMI. Maybe Apple was right and no one makes one? I’ll look around when I get some free time.

EDIT: here we go. He needs something like this.

HDMI to Mini DisplayPort Converter Adapter Cable,QGeeM

61lb4a6oJML._SX679_.jpg

This is the only one I can find at the moment. I’ll post back if I spot any others from a more well known brand.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well many thanks y'all for your fine effort. I'm still processing these options.

Just for info though I realise not really necessary, here's me trying unsuccessfully to connect the monitor leads to the A1993 Mac mini.

try to connect.jpg

Notice its a mini display lead and USB coming from the Cinema Display. The adaptor is an Apple t/b2 to t/b3; not successful as previously described.

One Q arises from your several answers; if a mini display to HDMI is a possible solution, is that then the only one, single connection required, making the USB lead redundant ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well many thanks y'all for your fine effort. I'm still processing these options.

Just for info though I realise not really necessary, here's me trying unsuccessfully to connect the monitor leads to the A1993 Mac mini.

View attachment 30809

Notice its a mini display lead and USB coming from the Cinema Display. The adaptor is an Apple t/b2 to t/b3; not successful as previously described.

One Q arises from your several answers; if a mini display to HDMI is a possible solution, is that then the only one, single connection required, making the USB lead redundant ?

The USB lead on the adapter that I linked to supplies power to the adapter. These aren't "passive"... there's some sort of processing or decoding going on inside that adapter. The reason, as best I understand it, is that video over HDMI is encrypted thanks to Hollywood as an effort to stop piracy, and since the Cinema Display is incapable of decrypting the signal, the adapter has to.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Today's update; after all your useful and most helpful info and advice I've decided to go for, combining with advice from my local Apple store, a new monitor. Its an LG 23" at £629, so yes a bit expensive. I am advised it has camera and microphone like the Apple monitor, so I hope that's correct. Any experience with this LG monitor ?

But they gave me a very good deal with the new Mac Mini upgraded to 1TB, as yet not installed. The 2014 MacMini with the doggy logic board is written off, not repaired. So I do have a A1267 Apple monitor for sale ;I'll put it on eBay.

Thanks again for all your help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Without you telling exactly WHICH LG model you are looking at, we can't tell you anything about it. I haven't seen many monitors with a camera built in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe he's referring to the newer LG 23" model monitor that Apple sells. It was designed for Apple by LG and does have a camera, mic, and USB ports for charging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
One of the better ways to check which will fit what is to Google for the model of Mac computer you have - in your case Mini 18 - and then click Images. The result displays all the ports your computer has. I too operate a 2018 Mini with a Samsung 24" (60 cm) monitor connected with HDMI through a splitter (two Mac Minis into one display). It works well, good colour rendering, but it has one irritating aspect - waking from (extended) sleep. I don't know if it's the Mini 18, the splitter (lag #1), or the monitor in some sort of deep stasis (lag #2). Oddly, perhaps, the Mini 10 does not have this same issue. I have an older Viewsonic 22" monitor as a backup, it too works well via a HDMI>DVI adaptor.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just some more info on the LG display I bought. (I haven't yet picked it up as I'm still waiting for the Mac mini 1TB upgrade to be completed by the Watford Apple store.)

LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple (UK)

So notable difference with my Apple A1267 it replaces (I have it on eBay), is no camera or mic. But it does have stereo speakers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just some more info on the LG display I bought. (I haven't yet picked it up as I'm still waiting for the Mac mini 1TB upgrade to be completed by the Watford Apple store.)

LG UltraFine 4K Display - Apple (UK)

So notable difference with my Apple A1267 it replaces (I have it on eBay), is no camera or mic. But it does have stereo speakers.

If you want to use the Apple keyboard for controlling the brightness and audio level on that monitor, you probably will need a 3rd party utility to do it. I had to get one for doing this with the ASUS monitor I paired with my wife's Mac mini. It's open source and free... works fantastic.

GitHub - the0neyouseek/MonitorControl: ? Control your external monitor brightness & volume on your Mac

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ‘L’. So this is a piece of software to download ? Certainly sounds useful. But there is a note in that link suggesting it doesn’t work with Catalina. My new MMac is coming with this OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ‘L’. So this is a piece of software to download ? Certainly sounds useful. But there is a note in that link suggesting it doesn’t work with Catalina. My new MMac is coming with this OS.

I’m pretty sure it works fine for her on Catalina but I can double check tomorrow. There are replies to that “note” saying it works fine for them, so whoever posted that has something else going on.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again ‘L’. I’ll try it when I’m up and running and will watch this space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again ‘L’. I’ll try it when I’m up and running and will watch this space.

Confirmed. MonitorControl is working just fine on my wife's Mac mini running Catalina.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.