Which hard drives for mac pro?

Cam

Reaction score
This might sound a bit stupid, but with the fixed 'cradles' for the h/d's on the pro i thought I'd check - are all SATA H/D's the same? ie, are the power sockets and sata connectors in the same place physically on the back of a hard drive? If not, what brands definately fit?

Also, anyone found a noticable difference in speed between 7200 and 10000rpm hard drives? Any extra noise?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
This might sound a bit stupid, but with the fixed 'cradles' for the h/d's on the pro i thought I'd check - are all SATA H/D's the same? ie, are the power sockets and sata connectors in the same place physically on the back of a hard drive? If not, what brands definately fit?

Also, anyone found a noticable difference in speed between 7200 and 10000rpm hard drives? Any extra noise?

cheers

All newer drives have the power and data connectors in the same place. ALWAYS go for the cheapest option Apple has ie 250Gb. The amount they charge to upgrade to 500Gb is MORE than the price of a 500Gb drive !! I bought 3 Seagate 500Gb perpendicular drives and they fitted and worked perfectly straight off. 10K drives WILL give you a boost in certain circumstances BUT they create more noise (it is not much louder in volume but it is at a more noticeable frequency). Pretty much all new 3.5" drives are 7200.

The standard 250Gb drive is a seagate ST320820AS P, I am using ST3500641AS drives.

And I would do the same with the memory ie 1Gb and go buy the rest from Kingston!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.