Which Drawing tablet is comparable with MBP 2019 w/Touch Bar?

Reaction score
I have a bamboo pen and touch tablet but it doesn’t work with new MBP anymore. It’s not a driver issue- according to Wacom support the tablet is not compatible with the newer MBP anymore.
I am trying to buy a new drawing tablet that works with my new system.

For 11 years with my MBP2011 series I’ve been using Wacom pen and touch without using any of the buttons or the surface as mouse … and want to buy another tablet with the same price range ( around 100.00) to use with my new MBP. No need for extra capabilities than the essentials such as pen pressure & precise drawing capability.
How can I find out what is compatible ?
My system :
MBP 2019 w/touchbar A2141 Big Sur 11.4
Thanks

Note: made a correction and removed the word iOS in my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm confused. You say you use the bamboo with a MBP, but then refer to iOS, which is for the iPhone and used to be for the iPad (now iPadOS). So, which is it?

What happens when you try to use the system? Error messages? Maybe someone can sort out why it's not working and save you the 100.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I'm confused. You say you use the bamboo with a MBP, but then refer to iOS, which is for the iPhone and used to be for the iPad (now iPadOS). So, which is it?

What happens when you try to use the system? Error messages? Maybe someone can sort out why it's not working and save you the 100.

LOL you are correct. My mistake on iOS… sorry. We are talking about MBP OS.
No error message. When I connect it, The surface works as a very slow hard to work track pad ( cursor moves) but pen doesn’t.
After hours of talking to Wacom they said it’s an old model and no longer compatible with newer MBP.
I still can use it with my 2011 MBP but not with the 2019.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
LOL you are correct. My mistake on iOS… sorry. We are talking about MBP OS.
No error message. When I connect it, The surface works as a very slow hard to work track pad ( cursor moves) but pen doesn’t.
After hours of talking to Wacom they said it’s an old model and no longer compatible with newer MBP.
I still can use it with my 2011 MBP but not with the 2019.

Did Wacom not have any suggestions? I'm looking over their product lists and they have drivers for Big Sur, which implies that their current line should work with your newer MBP.

BTW, there's a typo with your specs in your first post. You say your system is a 2011 MBP running Big Sur. Not possible.

Here's the link to their current driver:

And a link to the release notes, which includes their compatible products:

OP
Q
Reaction score
I’ve also followed all the possible delete this, update that, move this, click that … many of the options where not even available to follow.
Again: I don’t get any error. Pen doesn’t communicate with the 2019 MBP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.