What to do until it arrives?

T

todd51

Well, I'm starting to get a little crazy now. It has been just about 2 weeks since I ordered my quad-core iMac, which doesn't sound like a long time, but trust me, it has been. It is now November so I'm eagerly awaiting it to ship. I ordered it on the 20th of October so I'm expecting it to be one of the first ones to be shipped out. I have already backed up all my iTunes and everything, even wrote out a list of Applications and plugins to install the day I get it.

Currently, to pass the time, I've been watching un-boxing and review videos of the new iMacs on Youtube. What a bad idea! Obviously this won't be the first new Mac I have received. The one under my avatar was a nice surprise on my doorstep one Saturday morning and I'm hoping this one will be just as exciting. I have also been looking into buying Windows 7. I know some of you may not like it, but I believe I'll split the whopping 1TB hard drive between OS X and Win7. I am a bit of a gamer and I'll be wanting to play Left 4 Dead 2. Plus I wouldn't even know what to do with a 1TB drive all dedicated to OS X. I have a 500GB drive in my MBP and it's not NEAAR full.

I hope to keep you all updated for whenever it ships to give some others around here who might have ordered a quad-core, on when theirs might be shipping. Here's to keeping my mind busy! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What to do until it arrives...keep smiling a lot!!!

smiley.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That is so Watchmenesque. >_>

Sing and dance. Put together a production about your new computer and act it out when you get it. Record and post it here. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Cook some scones .......... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Package up your MBP and send it to me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Go outside?
Talk to women?

OP
T

todd51

Hmm...all very good, legit answers.

Sorry, G3XOI, I will not be selling my MBP, or else I would consider it! I'm keeping it for when I travel.

Eric559, your comments just made me laugh. Techincally I have done both since you've posted this but I know what you really mean.

Another day at work. I guess I'll just have to keep smiling like Nick suggested, but it's definitely too early in the morning to do that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I guess I'll just have to keep smiling like Nick suggested, but it's definitely too early in the morning to do that.

Be careful where you do all the smiling...or people will think you belong in a mental hospital!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
Well, I'm starting to get a little crazy now. It has been just about 2 weeks since I ordered my quad-core iMac, which doesn't sound like a long time, but trust me, it has been. It is now November so I'm eagerly awaiting it to ship. I ordered it on the 20th of October so I'm expecting it to be one of the first ones to be shipped out. I have already backed up all my iTunes and everything, even wrote out a list of Applications and plugins to install the day I get it.

Currently, to pass the time, I've been watching un-boxing and review videos of the new iMacs on Youtube. What a bad idea! Obviously this won't be the first new Mac I have received. The one under my avatar was a nice surprise on my doorstep one Saturday morning and I'm hoping this one will be just as exciting. I have also been looking into buying Windows 7. I know some of you may not like it, but I believe I'll split the whopping 1TB hard drive between OS X and Win7. I am a bit of a gamer and I'll be wanting to play Left 4 Dead 2. Plus I wouldn't even know what to do with a 1TB drive all dedicated to OS X. I have a 500GB drive in my MBP and it's not NEAAR full.

I hope to keep you all updated for whenever it ships to give some others around here who might have ordered a quad-core, on when theirs might be shipping. Here's to keeping my mind busy! :)

lol this is funny, only b/c I have been in your shoes for about a year. I have never owned a mac but I have been saving and saving and plotting what I was going to put on it and such. I have a tab in my firefox browser with just programs and apps website links. and finally i am going to be able to get the new 27" iMac and hopefully a 13" MBP as well all in one shot. what I have done to past the time is learn everything i could about mac's and watch tutorials on apple.com. btw I am a graphic design student and we have 25 last gen 20" imac so i practice all my knowledge on them. but you already own a mac so you probably know way more than me. but congrats. . .

OP
T

todd51

Be careful where you do all the smiling...or people will think you belong in a mental hospital!;)

- Nick

Good point, I'll try to calm down on all the smiling.

Another thing I thought of is that it's going to be a pain trying to figure out when this thing arrives. Nobody is home all day whenever the FedEx or DHL guy comes. Sometimes my mom will be home for the UPS guy so it'll be a pain trying to make sure I'm here when it arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You're too funny, I did all those same things. The only way I'd ever put windows on my Mac would be just to mess around with 7 so I can know some of the features better to sell it to my customers. It's hard for me to talk about the "features of windows 7" though without cracking a smile and mentioning that Microsoft has finally seen the light and is incorporating features that Apple had already introduced 2 and 3 years ago. They usually like that and say something like, "Well it's about time they started doing more of that." That sale was actually a different coworker who I was shadowing who said the same thing about the Win7 features and that's what this woman said to him.

Anyway, I wouldn't give your Windows partition too much room, as this is a real pain to do, but your iMac will be a real media monster with that delicious screen and processor, so make sure you leave yourself plenty of room to play. Also, that will discourage you from filling up your Windows side with too much crap.

So in that time when I was anticipating the arrival of my new MacBook aluminum, I had been without my beloved PowerMac G5 for a year. It died in April 2008 after I got it in June 2004. So I got almost 4 years out of it. I treated it like crap, but I really thought it would live to see Leopard for more than the 20 minutes that it did. I installed Leopard 10.5.1 on my birthday, and it booted back up into leopard... I open Safari to browse a webpage after exploring the finder a little bit, and then it powered down suddenly and I smelled smoke. The Apple store tried to replace the processors and that didn't work. I didn't have them try the logic board as I didn't have 800 bucks to get my computer fixed. So it could either be the logic board or the logic board AND the processors. It's still sitting in my dad's basement out of commission. Wow, that was a long explanation. It's my first day off in a while so I'm being wordy.

What I did while waiting for my MacBook... much like you, unboxing videos, reviews, things like that. I also started learning some basic terminal commands so I could be ready to re-enter the world of technology after being 1 year without my own system. For a while some of you may remember, I was posting on my fiancee's eMac (that I converted her to Macs with). I also became a fan of Chris Pirillo. Yea, he's a big nerd. But so am I.

OP
T

todd51

You're too funny, I did all those same things. The only way I'd ever put windows on my Mac would be just to mess around with 7 so I can know some of the features better to sell it to my customers. It's hard for me to talk about the "features of windows 7" though without cracking a smile and mentioning that Microsoft has finally seen the light and is incorporating features that Apple had already introduced 2 and 3 years ago. They usually like that and say something like, "Well it's about time they started doing more of that." That sale was actually a different coworker who I was shadowing who said the same thing about the Win7 features and that's what this woman said to him.

Anyway, I wouldn't give your Windows partition too much room, as this is a real pain to do, but your iMac will be a real media monster with that delicious screen and processor, so make sure you leave yourself plenty of room to play. Also, that will discourage you from filling up your Windows side with too much crap.

So in that time when I was anticipating the arrival of my new MacBook aluminum, I had been without my beloved PowerMac G5 for a year. It died in April 2008 after I got it in June 2004. So I got almost 4 years out of it. I treated it like crap, but I really thought it would live to see Leopard for more than the 20 minutes that it did. I installed Leopard 10.5.1 on my birthday, and it booted back up into leopard... I open Safari to browse a webpage after exploring the finder a little bit, and then it powered down suddenly and I smelled smoke. The Apple store tried to replace the processors and that didn't work. I didn't have them try the logic board as I didn't have 800 bucks to get my computer fixed. So it could either be the logic board or the logic board AND the processors. It's still sitting in my dad's basement out of commission. Wow, that was a long explanation. It's my first day off in a while so I'm being wordy.

What I did while waiting for my MacBook... much like you, unboxing videos, reviews, things like that. I also started learning some basic terminal commands so I could be ready to re-enter the world of technology after being 1 year without my own system. For a while some of you may remember, I was posting on my fiancee's eMac (that I converted her to Macs with). I also became a fan of Chris Pirillo. Yea, he's a big nerd. But so am I.

You have some pretty good points there DR. I am really debating on how much of the drive to dedicate to Windows 7. See, this is my situation:

About 2 years ago I bought a Firewire400/USB 500GB external HDD and SuperDuper to backup my MBP. I really love the program and setup I have going and obviously want to do the same thing with my iMac. However, I was looking for a way around this so I wouldn't have to buy another external HDD that was 1TB. Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and spend another paycheck purchasing Windows 7 and a 1TB external drive. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Haha it's okay I was only joking ;)

Well if your still stuck for ideas, shopping for accessories is always fun! haha

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.