What Should I Do To My iMac G4?

Reaction score
I have not ever used Mac before so I thought I would buy an older model off ebay just to make sure I liked it instead of spending thousands to realise I did not.

It is a iMac 17 inch running Mac OS X Version 10.3.9

The specs are
1ghz PowerPC G4 Processor
256k on-chip level 2 cache running at 1ghz
256MB of DDR SDRAM; supports up to 1 gig
80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 grahics processor and 64mb of DDR video Memory

Obviously not the fastest or best Mac. :Smirk:

1)What I wanted to know is how far I can upgrade this?

2)It is running 10.3.9 does that mean I have to buy 10.4 (tiger)?

3)Can 10.4 be downloaded anywhere off the net at all?

4)And if upgraded would this be able to support leopard?

Go easy, I'm a new mac user LOL O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
To make your initial experience more worthwhile i would suggest upgrading the Ram to at least 768 better still 1Gb and then buy Tiger 10.4 and upgrade that to 10.4.11. I feel a 1GHz unit is a bit slow for Leopard.

OP
S
Reaction score
To make your initial experience more worthwhile i would suggest upgrading the Ram to at least 768 better still 1Gb and then buy Tiger 10.4 and upgrade that to 10.4.11. I feel a 1GHz unit is a bit slow for Leopard.

How much is tiger 10.4? I have been seeing some very low prices on ebay...are they legit?

By the time I pay for an upgrade and the software it will cost me more than I brought the computer for....LOL

Think I might just have to look into getting something better. Only had this mac for 2 days LOL

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
How much is tiger 10.4? I have been seeing some very low prices on ebay...are they legit?

By the time I pay for an upgrade and the software it will cost me more than I brought the computer for....LOL

Think I might just have to look into getting something better. Only had this mac for 2 days LOL

Thanks for the help.

Same as me then, expect I bought a Mac Mini (and one that's a bit more powerful) running Leopard. I'm happy with OS X so far, and now I want to upgrade to a new Intel based machine hehe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.