What is the difference between the CPU of my 2011 iMac and a new one?

Reaction score
I have a 2011 21.5" iMac which has a 2.5GHz quad‑core i5. The two new non-retina 21.5 iMacs have either a 1.6GHz dual core i5, or a 2.8GHz quad-core i5. These sell for $1099 and $1299 respectively. So if I bought 2.8GHz quad-core for $1299, it does not seem like much of an upgrade from my 2.5GHz quad core. Am I missing something here, or is my upgrade path limited?

I was considering a 21.5" retina iMac, but with their paltry 5400 RPM drives, and also paltry 24GB SSD in the 1 TB fusion drive, I would want at least the 2TB fusion drive although I don't really need all that space, but want the 128GB SSD. So with the options I want I would be pushing $2000!

I was disappointed when Apple released the retina iMacs in the 27" variety only, and did not let their tactics sway me into buying one. Now that the 21.5 retina iMac is here, the options appear to be either a lame upgrade to a non-retina iMac, or an overpriced retina model.

As much as I like OS X, I am seriously considering getting a Windows 10 PC with 4k display, and save about $800.
I think I'm going to tell Apple to shove it again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As much as I like OS X, I am seriously considering getting a Windows 10 PC with 4k display, and save about $800.

That's OK, whatever works best for you. Personally, I would not purchase another 21.5" iMac since they're not only a closed machine (no upgrade path) but IMO, overpriced for what you get. I gave my 21.5" iMac (2011) model to my college age grand daughter which she is still using. At the time I purchased a 27" non retina iMac (late 2013 model) which at the time was a good buy for the $. The newer 27" iMac retina machines are great but with expensive upgrades. For example, in place of the 7200 1 TB HDD, I would like a 512 GB SSD. That would cost me $500 more! That brings the price of the standard machine up to $2200.00.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I missing something here…

Yes.;) The improvements to newer computers are not always just CPU based. There are other improvements as well.

That's exactly the point. If you like using the Mac OS…then an Apple computer it must be. If you need to go the Windows computer route. You gotta do what you gotta do. But if after the switch you find you do not like Windows…don't come back here looking for any sympathy!;);)

By the way. To save money…you can always consider purchasing a refurbished or a used unit.

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
That's OK, whatever works best for you. Personally, I would not purchase another 21.5" iMac since they're not only a closed machine (no upgrade path) but IMO, overpriced for what you get. I gave my 21.5" iMac (2011) model to my college age grand daughter which she is still using. At the time I purchased a 27" non retina iMac (late 2013 model) which at the time was a good buy for the $. The newer 27" iMac retina machines are great but with expensive upgrades. For example, in place of the 7200 1 TB HDD, I would like a 512 GB SSD. That would cost me $500 more! That brings the price of the standard machine up to $2200.00.

I was looking at some all-in-one PC's last night from Dell, HP, and Asus. Many of them still use i5 processors as well. But they boast "6th generation i5". Some also came with fusion drives with only an 8GB SSD, much smaller than Apple's 24 GB offering. Then when you factor in a 4k display, the prices are around $1400. So Apple is not too far off the mark.
Of course, unlike the Apple offerings, the Windows PC's come with USB-C, and more technology in general.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right about the price of a quality PC. I too have priced PCs, especially notebooks. A good quality Windows notebook computer is about on par with Apple as far as price goes. The one I was particularly interested in buying was the new Microsoft Surface Pro 4. What surprised me was when I started to add in what I wanted (memory, faster CPU, more PCIe storage) the price was very close to a top of the line MacBook Pro. And realistically, if I have to choose between Windows 10 and El Capitan, I'll take El Capitan any day....

OP
Z
Reaction score
You're right about the price of a quality PC. I too have priced PCs, especially notebooks. A good quality Windows notebook computer is about on par with Apple as far as price goes. The one I was particularly interested in buying was the new Microsoft Surface Pro 4. What surprised me was when I started to add in what I wanted (memory, faster CPU, more PCIe storage) the price was very close to a top of the line MacBook Pro. And realistically, if I have to choose between Windows 10 and El Capitan, I'll take El Capitan any day....

One other point, many of the higher priced Windows PC's are also using 5400 RPM drives. Go figure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
One other point, many of the higher priced Windows PC's are also using 5400 RPM drives. Go figure.

Probably cost saving.

FYI. For close to the $2000 price mentioned in post #1 for a 21.5" iMac configured the way you want it. If it was me…for that price…I would go with a 27" retina iMac. The 27" iMac's use a 7200 rpm HD (instead of 5400 rpm)…and the ram in 27" iMac's is user upgradeable (so this can be done later when more cash becomes available).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests go with the 27"model. I had the 2011 21.5", purchased new in june 2012 and thought at the time the 27" was too big. With flash storage everythiong is so much quicker I nearly need a seat belt!

GeekBench test Results show the 2011 2.5GHz comes in with a score of 7267, a 2015 27" with 3.3GHz score 10,490, to say nothing of faster memory, 1333Mhz compared to 1867MHz, and graphics either 2GB or 4GB DDR5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.