what external hard drive to purchase

Reaction score
I've ordered a new iMac and am wondering what external hard drive to use for time machine. To be honest, Ive been a poor user of time machine, and confess to not using it. I do use a NAS and keep copies my photography files on there plus have Crashplan where my photography files are also stored. But hands up, the rest of my files are not backed up.

I am going wise up and start using time machine,. There is also Macbook in the house, plus my older iMac will be used by my son, and I wont be connecting him to my NAS. Ive a couple of questions

What unit/storage device would you recommend to use for time machine

Is the apple Airport worth the money

Is it possible to connect 3 time machines to the same unit?

Thanking you all in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Ursh - welcome to the forum! :) This topic has come up numerous times in the forum, but for starters check this THREAD for plenty of suggestions; as you will see, there are many brands available but only a small handful of manufacturers exist, i.e. selling differently named drives. I'm a contributor to that discussion and the ones I own are listed - excellent posts are there by Randy Singer w/ plenty of recommendations. Now you may not know but this forum is being shutdown in 4 days (new owner who no longer wants to pay to support the effort), so read quickly and post soon. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.