Well-made lightning splitter for simultaneous charging/audio?

Reaction score
So I'm going to start using my iPhone (instead of my MacBook Air) for presentations and video using screen-mirroring with Apple TV. I need audio. The speakers in the room are wired (3.5mm), and I don't feel like spending money on equivalent (30W) Bluetooth speakers unless I have to. I know about the lightning-to-3.5mm audio Apple adapter for connecting, but I would also like to have the option to charge at the same time so I don't run the battery down. Apple sells the Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar, but it has very mediocre reviews both on Amazon and Belkin's own website. Seems to be the same situation for all the other similar products I found on Amazon. So, why is this so complicated to engineer a product that will last for many years? Seems so simple, yet people are saying theirs are failing after only a few months, and multiple replacements under warranty do the same.

Just wondering if any of you know of an adapter/splitter that's actually worth it's salt (preferably that you've used for at least a year without issue). Any input would be appreciated!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't used one of those gizmos but I have used something which may help if the wires can be fetched from the speakers as some can. I've used a couple of adapters that plug in to the 3.5 mm audio jack and essentially give the headset/speaker bluetooth capability. Some of these support other types of connections as well. Examples
I can think of three potential problems for your situation"
1. Some of the devices have very small batteries so you only get an hour or so of use per charge.
2. I've never tried connecting more than one speaker to these devices at a time but it might be possible.
3. Some of these devices add mic capability as well but pick up extraneous noise if you can't shut the mic off.
Not exactly what you're looking for but might come in handy at times.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Thanks! I should have thought to look for something like that. I have had good luck with Anker products, and this one says up to 12 hours of battery life. I'm sure the mic doesn't activate unless you're taking a call, so that shouldn't be an issue. And the speakers connect through one 3.5mm jack, so that's not an issue either.

Anker Soundsync A3352 Bluetooth Receiver for Music Streaming with Bluetooth 5.0

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The device that I tried and hated looked like this (expired Amazon link removed)...but was made by a different company. My thought was to clip it in place and use a short wire to go from the device to the headset. The problem was since the mic couldn't be turned off when not in use it picked up sound from every move I made. t also resulted in a somewhat "hollow" sound.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Slydude, thanks again for your recommendation of the type of device I linked in post 3. I bought that one late yesterday afternoon on Amazon and it was delivered today around lunch time (God bless Amazon Prime free 1-day delivery) and it works PERFECTLY. This thing weighs only 0.5 oz (14g) and is about the size of two quarters. No detectable latency and crystal clear audio. A perfect solution for my needs!

6253EB53-127C-4F3B-B22A-DE228C32BAE4.jpeg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad that't going to work out well for you. When I made my initial post I thought that suggestion was going to be a bit off base.:)

One of the devices I have is similar to the one you bought but not as well made as the Anker stuff tends to be. If I find myself needing that feature often I'll look for that one.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I'm glad that't going to work out well for you. When I made my initial post I thought that suggestion was going to be a bit off base.

Well, I'm glad you spoke up. I'm still purchasing the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter just in case the Anker Bluetooth adapter hangs up (or I forget to charge it) at any point in the future during a presentation, so I have a backup audio connection. Backup plans aren't just for data ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good plan. I taught public speaking for a while and students always seemed to be surprised when something didn't work s planned. I almost didn't make the suggestion because I wasn't quite sure that would quite meet your needs. I've been in situations where this may not work (e.g. speaker wire can't be disconnected to plug the device in).

The other idea I almost suggested was the use of some of the better Bluetooth speakers. Some of them give plenty of sound for most presentations but they are certainly not as "budget friendly" out solution. I have an early one of these kicking around the house. We used it in our previous car to make GPS directions loud enough in a car with no working AC, no CarPlay and no Bluetooth. It worked well for that with battery life and sound that was quite good. Of course now that I have one the price has dropped and there have been improvements to later models.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I've been in situations where this may not work (e.g. speaker wire can't be disconnected to plug the device in).

Or not being within Bluetooth range of where you could plug a Bluetooth device in. Thankfully neither of those things are the case in this situation. Yes, I had my eye on an Anker 30W Bluetooth speaker that looks comparable to the one you linked, and both have apps that can control the EQ, which would be a non-negotiable to me (don't want to be stuck with overpowering bass!).

Anker Soundcore Motion+

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.