Weird display problem on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro is showing weird colorful rainbow lines on the display, and I can't see what I'm doing. The computer works fine; it is just the display that has a problem. I have already completely reset the computer and reinstalled the operating system per an Apple live chat, and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure it is something wrong with the logic board. Another weird thing is that when an HDMI or Thunderbolt cable gets plugged in and it sends the screen to something else, not only does it show up clearly on the monitor, it also shows up clearly on the regular mac screen! Another thing I discovered is that if I hold down the TAB button, the rainbow lines will always go away, but that doesn't work with other buttons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
More info needed, please - model, OS, screenshot...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would say the graphics card has gone bad. You have not shared what year your Macbook Pro is but if you have any apple care left it needs to make a trip to apple.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think it's his graphics card from his description of how the machine is acting when he attaches an external monitor. Also, he has a 13" retina MacBook Pro. Those models did not use a discrete graphics card. It could be a loose video cable. However, I agree with the advice about taking it to Apple and have them look at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Ahhh... I missed the info at the top of the picture. And you are correct - if the external monitor (and now the MB pro's monitor) works perfect then it is not a graphics issue. Now it sounds like a possessed logic board,,, or something is loose. Onward to the Genius bar or Apple repair!!

Lisa

Reaction score
Yes, that same thing happened on my computer. A small(but still rainbow) square moved where the mouse was. I closed the screen and reopened it and it was fixed, I'm not quite sure what happened but I suspect something fell out of place and was fixed when I moved the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.