WD Scorpio Blue in MBP mid 2009

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
Hi all,

am buying a macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz 2moro 3days before my brithday cant wait any longer and was thinking of upgradeing my hard drive to
WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT - hard drive - 500 GB - SATA-300
and been looking at forumz but could not find how to install the hard drive i have upgraded hard drive on a pc i know how to upgrade the hard on the macbook pro from seeing on utube but i wanted to know once i put the hard drive in and do a fresh install is that it or do i have to do anythink with
jumper for it to shuttle down from SATA-300 to SATA-150?

hears a link of the hard drive that am gonna get if u all say its ok

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB Sata 8MB Cache 2.5: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

sorry guys am new to mac please help me out if anyone hear has use this hard drive with there macbook pro mid 2009 would really help me thanks

after reading this review

Five 2.5-inch hard drives at 500GB - The Tech Report - Page 1

this is a great hard drive

Reaction score
hd drive with

I upgraded my 09 mbp a few weeks back with the same drive you want. It was very easy. What you need to do is get the drive and buy an enclosure for your old drive. Coonect the new drive via usb and format it to mac os journaled. Then you will need to install mac os on it. Once you do this you will need to take old drive out and install new one. Takes about 30 mins or so total. If you go to macsales it has a video you can follow

good luck

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13in 2.26ghz,64gb ssd,4gb ram & iphone 4 16gb,ipod,ipod touch 2nd gen
Thanks saks73

Can someone give me an explain on (Journaled) or a link that has a explanation on what that means?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Just hook the new drive up via USB and use Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper to make a duplicate of the current drive. No need to go through the OS install and reconfigure all settings and such.

Journaling explained

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks JohnCL

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any of u guys running a 7200 rpm hard drive if so let me know how it is on the macbook pro 13in mid 2009 is it too hot or will there be a problem with it in the macbook pro mid 2009 cause apple store only does 5400 rpm for this model thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Any of u guys running a 7200 rpm hard drive if so let me know how it is on the macbook pro 13in mid 2009 is it too hot or will there be a problem with it in the macbook pro mid 2009 cause apple store only does 5400 rpm for this model thanks

I run 7200 RPM and have no issues at all. Really runs no different than the 5400. I have it in a 6/09 13" MacBook Pro. Many others are running 7200 as well.

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run 7200 RPM and have no issues at all. Really runs no different than the 5400. I have it in a 6/09 13" MacBook Pro. Many others are running 7200 as well.

what brand is your one and does everything load up fast like clicking on ur desktop icon and start up and loging off thanks JohnCL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
I am running a 7200rpm as well. No problems. No heat issues. Even with a speck plastic case around it. I think the 7200rpm hard drives are fine. You won't notice a difference. Well I am speaking on behalf of my Seagate momentus 7200rpm hard drive as I do not know if the others perform this well.

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am running a 7200rpm as well. No problems. No heat issues. Even with a speck plastic case around it. I think the 7200rpm hard drives are fine. You won't notice a difference. Well I am speaking on behalf of my Seagate momentus 7200rpm hard drive as I do not know if the others perform this well.

thanks deathcloud

if only 256GB Samsung SSD was like $300 or less i would have got 1 but $800 is to much some are even more u can buy another mac with that much cash lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Yea I say to wait on the price of SSD I mean that is wayyyy to expensive unless you just have to have it. But I think you should do the 500GB 7200rpm hard drive. I think you will be satisfied and also not have to worry about upgrading the hard drive for a long time. I mean I have 416GB left on my new hard drive. So I am not worried at all :) I love my new hard drive!

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks deathcloud

am either gonna go for WD Scorpio Black WD3200BJKT or WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT **** so hard to chose anyone have any of these hard drive if so how fast are they to load up and shut down and clicking on desktop icon how fast do the apps take to come on screen thanks

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5 hours till i get my first mac cant wait cant go to sleep as well lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have the WD Black 320gb that you mentioned above. No issues at all and the system is very responsive. I have a Samsung 128 SSD that I may toy with tomorrow.

OP
MrKay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the WD Black 320gb that you mentioned above. No issues at all and the system is very responsive. I have a Samsung 128 SSD that I may toy with tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know JohnCL **** u luckly guy let me know how the samsung 128 ssd is

Reaction score
5 hours till i get my first mac cant wait cant go to sleep as well lol

Haha, good luck with your purchase; I know the feeling. I would recommend exactly what JohnCL suggested. I just upgraded the stock drive of my 13" MBP last night to the Scorpio Blue 500GB and it went pretty smooth. Bought an enclosure, erased the WD drive, formatted it, used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my stock drive, booted from the WD drive to ensure things went well, and then swapped the drives.

The WD drive is noticeably louder but considering that the stock drive was virtually silent, I suppose that's to be expected. By no means is the WD drive loud or intrusive, it's just noticeable. I also had a few beachballing issues but that may be because I seem to be maxing out system resources by downloading/uploading 20 torrents at a time (I'm trying to get as many as possible before they shut TPB down for good, seed as much as you can people!). I'll post back with my opinion on system performance with the WD drive after I finish a couple essential downloads and free up some resources. Good luck again with everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Well, did you get your Mac?

I loaded SL fresh on a new Samsung 128gb SSD today, and all that I can say is WOW!!! This thing is crazy! I thought it booted and shut down quick before. Now, the prices for bigger SSD's need to drop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Well, did you get your Mac?

I loaded SL fresh on a new Samsung 128gb SSD today, and all that I can say is WOW!!! This thing is crazy! I thought it booted and shut down quick before. Now, the prices for bigger SSD's need to drop!

Yeah, I've seen one and boy are they fast.

My next hard drive upgrade will probably be to a SSD in a year or two.

I'm pretty sure my 160 GB 5400 will do just fine until then. =D

Reaction score
always better to do a clean install on a new drive.....
connect it, do a custom install from Os install disk so you can specify what junk you don't want on there..ie printers, languages, garageband junk...and then drag and drop whatever data files if you need..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.