warning: inode (id 4595534): compression type is dataless, but the dataless bsd_flag is not set

Reaction score
I get this running FirstAid on several containers. FirstAid says the container is corrupted. It runs repairs and says it is OK but when I run FirstAid again I get the same warning and repair message. I can fix this be erasing the container and starting over but I'd rather not. What does this really mean and how serious is it?

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I get the terminology confused. These are Volumes within Containers.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Here is an article from a while ago: Error: warning inode_val invalid bsd_flag… - Apple Community

I think a reformat of the SSD is in your future. Do you have backups?

As I said above. Fortunately these aren't my Macintosh HD disks. They actually are backups! I just didn't want to start over. The error doesn't seem to affect anything right now The most important is the monthly backup from three months ago. My TM backups only go back two months. Fortunately I've never actually had to access them [knock on wood]. I just keep them in case -- weekly for a month and monthly for a quarter.

I am very curious why FirstAid says it is fixing the Volume and then says it is OK but re-running FirstAid shows the identical problem. This may [hopefully] just mean it isn't something I really need to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As I said above.
You didn't say these were backups. Doesn't matter, the only fix seems to be reformat and starting over. Ignoring an error won't make it go away and sooner or later it will bite, usually at the worst tiime. You can start new on a new drive, put the bad one away until you have confidence that you no longer need anything from it, then format it and put it back in service. Errors where inodes and flags get out of sync are generally caused by interruptions in the middle of data activities where the system cannot close out the activity properly.

It's your call, but the clock is ticking...

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.