Volume Issues with Bose Companion 20 multimedia speaker system.

Reaction score
Hi Gang on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) macOS Mojave, -My Bose Companion 20 multimedia speaker system is not getting as loud as it used to. I have all the system sound bars on max even the volume control on my Keyboard. I have put a pic of my sound preferences, Im wondering if it could be my volume Puck failing? any help would be great Thanks Bob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.01.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.01.14 PM.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 45

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have a similar Bose System, but mine is connected to my iMac via USB. Yours appears to be connected via the Headphone socket??

And these are my settings in System Preferences > Sound:

Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 9.31.44 am☀️.png

Have you the facility for a USB connection? If not, then you are stuck with the Headphones' output socket and your settings are all at maximum. You'll notice that my Output volume is at about ¾. That would suggest that your Volume Pack/Puck is failing, I suspect.

Best I can offer, sorry.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Ian, I think you're right, these speakers used to blast and I can't seem to find any settings that may have moved!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks a lot Ian, I think you're right, these speakers used to blast and I can't seem to find any settings that may have moved!
I feel your pain.

I'm not familiar with that set of speakers because I've avoided most Bose gear for several years now. One question did occur to me though: Do you have something else that you could connect them to temporarily just to see if you get the same behavior?

OP
B
Reaction score
I will ask my wife to check her laptop for a external speaker, If so I will give that a shot! I'll be back!lol

OP
B
Reaction score
checked with the laptop same problem! I ordered a new volume puck Problem solved thanks for all the Help Gang!(y)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that sorted out. Thanks for letting us know the solution. It might help someone else in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.