Very strange screen freeze. Help

Reaction score
I have abit of a strange issue with my 27" 2013 imac. First thing to note is ive run multiple extended hardware tests and consistently returns no errors. The internal harddrive has been formatted. Ram tested and is good and to cut possible causes down im just working with the minimum 1 x 4gb ram.
If i try to reinstall os x via cmd+r the process starts. Connects to internet. Shows globe with loading bar. Loading bar gets 1/3 of the way and stops. However i dont believe its stopped. Its as if the screen freezes as if i leave it, after a few mins i hear "please choose language etc etc" but the screen is frozen on that loading bar. It happens at the exact same point everytime. If i try reinstalling from bootable usb again the process starts and freezes at the same point.
I removed the harddrive and popped it in a caddy and installed os x on it via my dads imac. Install completed and loaded fine.
Popped it back into my imac. It starts but get the question mark folder. Tried booting from it externally. Nothing. Tried booting with option held down. Wont show the os x . It will show the bootable usb tho. Hardware tests consistently show no errors yet this must be some sort of hardware issue. Have even tried another drive with working os x on it and same thing. Everything seems fine yet it freezes at consistently the same place everytime no matter what method im using. Is this an issue with the graphics card? If its a thermal sensor how come it fails at exact same point everytime. I just wish i knew one way or the other if i shld keep trying to fix it or give up and buy a new one. Please note, taking to an apple shop isnt an option. Would be a waste of money and time to have them really not bother looking into it as in new zealand the mac experts are really just salesmen who just try sell you a new one and any fix they did offer would be more expensive than buying another used unit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that the graphics card is failing or it could be something else on the logic board. A 2013 iMac is going on 9 years old and really not worth putting any large amount of money into repairing it.

You might get some ideas on what to look for by going to this US site: www.ifixit.com

You can ask questions and look up the various repair procedures for your model iMac.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You say it’s a 2013 iMac so what macOS are you trying to instal?
I ask because you stated you managed to instal an OS via a caddy and your dad’s computer but got a question mark after reinstalling the HD. This is usually a sign that the hardware does not recognise the OS.
Of course it could also be a hardware problem.

OP
L
Reaction score
It's possible that the graphics card is failing or it could be something else on the logic board. A 2013 iMac is going on 9 years old and really not worth putting any large amount of money into repairing it.

You might get some ideas on what to look for by going to this US site: www.ifixit.com

You can ask questions and look up the various repair procedures for your model iMac.
Cheers for the reply. Basically my thoughts exactly

OP
L
Reaction score
Is it the same Mac as in this thread? RAM error startup beep after power surge into headphone jack!

If so, it's probably failing in multiple ways. Nine years is a good run.
No i have 2 here. The one you mention is what ive been using heavily for work. The other one i knew had this issue so its just been left there for parts. Just desperately trying to get something going untill i can get a brand new one. Also the os is definitely compatible. Dads imac runs big sur or whatever it is.. i made an install usb of Yosemite. Booted from that. Installed on external(which was imacs internal)

OP
L
Reaction score
You say it’s a 2013 iMac so what macOS are you trying to instal?
I ask because you stated you managed to instal an OS via a caddy and your dad’s computer but got a question mark after reinstalling the HD. This is usually a sign that the hardware does not recognise the OS.
Of course it could also be a hardware problem.
Yosemite os x . 2013 imac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.