Very slow internet speed being blamed on NSURLsessiond

Reaction score
My internet is incredibly slow. Granted the company is ridiculously expensive here in Colorado. I use to run through cable companies at much higher speed but we moved and they just don't offer it where I live. So I am using Colorado Central Telecom and paying $45 for 4 mb's. But my iMac is almost at a standstill. They are telling me it is because something is constantly downloading on my machine eating up my bandwidth. They are blaming it on NSURLsessiond. I do not know much about it. I have looked it up and it does eat up a lot of your bandwidth. I don't know why. But I read it is needed.

Can anyone help with this or answer any questions?

Most Appreciated!

Lucy Goose

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First, who even was able to tell you specifically what was taking up all the bandwidth? Second, NSURLSession is how applications connect to anything on the Internet, so that's just too generic to be of value.

Open up Activity Monitor and click on the Network tab, now sort by Rcvd Bytes to see which process has done the most transfers. You'll likely find its 'kernel_task' and 'mDNSResponder' as a close second. There should be other process that end with 'd' in that list which are all Daemons doing different things.

You want to see if the Rcvd bytes is growing quickly for any one process and then start from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So I am using Colorado Central Telecom and paying $45 for 4 mb's.

You may as well be on a dial up modem with those speeds. Have you looked into accessing the internet via satellite? Surely there must be other companies that service your area? I can remember around 15 years ago when I was hooked up to AT&T DSL, we got around 10 to 12 mbs. A download speed of 4 mbs is really too slow and probably erratic to do any serious downloading like macOS or application updates.

OP
L
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.11.12 PM.png It says that Safari is Receiving the most. I don't know too much about this sort of thing.

We cannot get cable and they want $70/month to upgrade to a lousy 10mb's. Right now I am at 5mb's at $45/month which I think is crazy. I use to get 50 with cable for close to that price. They want $90 for 15mb and $110 for what they call Professional 25mb's. There is cable for some but not for us and their is one other company that runs DSL and has a very bad reputation and a lot of complaints.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ok, looks like you aren't doing a lot of receiving, but nsurlsessiond has sent about 154MB. When was the machine started up based on when the screenshot was taken? Could you also click on the Sent Packets to see what you see?

Please do the following. Reboot your machine, once it boots up, open up Activity Monitor. Click on the Networking tab and keep an eye on the bottom section which shows you Packets in/Out, Data received/sent and see how quickly it begins to rise. Now sort by Sent Bytes and Rcvd Bytes above and see if you can connect the traffic to a process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.