vanishing list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Adding to toMACsh's comments, by using Grab we can't see what apps you are actually using because Grab captures the top bar. So far, we're guessing at what apps you might be using (Finder? Preview?) because of that. There is a better way to do screenshots without having to use Grab. Take a screenshot on your Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hey guys! Thanks for giving a thumbs-up to my "maybe I'm just dense" post. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you get it sorted out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My guess is that the selected items are opening somewhere else because there is no room to do so on your desktop. Are you using Mission Control at all?

:app :p LOL... I just came across this and almost choked on the mouthful of drink I had in my mouth and as it tried to come out through my nose... as I read Rod's explanation. A great chuckle thank you.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
:app :p LOL... I just came across this and almost choked on the mouthful of drink I had in my mouth and as it tried to come out through my nose... as I read Rod's explanation. A great chuckle thank you.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Did you get it sorted out?
Good afternoon, Jake,

Well, in answer to your question, sort of.

If I have open a directory on the right side, and there is nothing else on the screen,

Untitled.jpeg

I can select a jpg image from the "Pictures" column on the right and the image will open, leaving the listing untouched.

Untitled.jpeg

If there's anything on the left side however, like this,
Untitled.jpeg

and I select the same image as before, this happens

Untitled.jpeg

The left side listing has disappeared, as you can see if I drag the image down. Untitled.jpeg

Sorry to be so long-winded. Hope this better explains the problem.

Again, thanks,

bmahin

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks like you have multiple spaces, or Desktops. You sort of dismissed that way back at the beginning of this thread by saying it "didn't work" but what your images show would be exactly what to expect if you have multiple desktops. What Mac are you using? I didn't see where that had been provided. If it's a Mac with a trackpad, swipe up with three fingers and look at the top bar to see if there are multiple Desktops defined. If it doesn't have a trackpad, I think the F3 key will achieve the same thing--show the desktops on the top bar. What I think is happening is that your system has images set to open in one Desktop and you are working in another, so when you open the image, it swaps desktops, making you think the other item has disappeared when what happened is that you swapped Desktops.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Jake --

You were absolutely right. Per your suggestion and using F3, I discovered that I'm using at least two desktops, by accident, certainly not by intent.

If I could impose just a bit more, what should do now. Even though I started on a Classic many, many years ago and should know, I feel very clueless here.

Again, thank you so much.

bmahin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, there are several things you can do. Now that you know what is happening, you can go from Desktop to Desktop by swiping 3 or 4 fingers side to side. That's the quickest way to change from one to another. You can also right click on the app that opens the images (whatever it is), on the Dock and then Options, and "Assign to" whatever Desktop you want to use. That way that app will always open on that Desktop and no other. I find multiple desktops very handy as I can have several apps open at the same time in large windows and quickly get from one to another with a swipe. If you decide to do that, you can then make Finder larger, or Word, as those seem to be the two very narrow lists you have open in the images. That wider view could make both more useful to you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If I could impose just a bit more, what should do now.

Jake's reply is, as always, most comprehensive.

One additional comment - as the 2 Desktops "were by accident", you could delete one of them, leaving you with one Desktop for all applications.

To do that, use your F3 key as before. Move your cursor to the very top of the screen. Both Desktops will show up. Hover over one of them and click the x to delete it. You will not lose any data. It just means you're back to a single Desktop.

BTW, you can have up to 16 Desktops (I think)!! You add one the same way you delete one: click on the + to add another Desktop.

Have fun!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, I am so used to having multiple desktops that it never occurred to me that you can go back to just one. That would be so constricting, I guess my mind just refused to bring it up! Good catch!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Jake & Ian --

Many, many thanks to both of you: Ian for all the information and Ian for telling how to get back to one desktop, which is fine for me since my needs are simple.

Again, thank you both so much.

bmahin

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Apologies: in the above msg, I meant thanks to JAKE for all the information and Ian for the one desktop solution. Sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.