Using an iPhone as a webcam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ok! Then could you do a screenshot showing that your Mac Mini and iPhone are Bluetooth connected.
No. There is no point in doing that. You are basically challenging my honesty in saying it's connected. Not very civil of you to do that.

Bye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
When I first used my Mac Mini, after doing the routine set-up stuff, one of the questions that popped up after all my registered devices were logged was "Do you what to use your iPhone as a Webcam", I declined, but shows the Mac Mini will and does use the iPhone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok! Then could you do a screenshot showing that your Mac Mini and iPhone are Bluetooth connected.
The iPhone will NOT connect via Bluetooth (for Mac Mini at least), check out the Apple site, you can find the link yourself as I did. But basically apple will not let them connect as is is slow and the Macs have far better methods of transferring data, IIRC connection is done via WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone will NOT connect via Bluetooth
Not true. My iPhone IS connected by Bluetooth, both for use as a webcam and as a pathway for my  Watch to unlock the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not true. My iPhone IS connected by Bluetooth, both for use as a webcam and as a pathway for my  Watch to unlock the Mac.
Apparently after sierra, according to Apple the facility to pair iPhone and Mac was stopped, with Airdrop as the preferred method, just wot I read!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, as nobody seems to believe me, here is a shot of the Mini showing the iPhone connected, with the button to disconnect:

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 10.37.23 AM.jpeg

I don't know what else I can do to make you believe it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And to make sure you understand, from Apple:

System requirements​

This Continuity Camera feature works with the following devices and operating systems, using one iPhone and one Mac at a time. The Continuity Camera feature for scanning documents or taking a picture has different requirements.

iOS 16 or later​

• iPhone XR or later
    (All iPhone models introduced in 2018 or later)
  • iPhone 11 or later for Center Stage
  • iPhone 11 or later (excluding iPhone SE) for Desk View
  • iPhone 12 or later for Studio Light

macOS Ventura or later​

Additional requirements​

Note: no exclusion of the Mini. It says, "Any Mac compatible with macOS Ventura or later." Note the statement,
  • Your iPhone and Mac must be near each other and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on.
So bluetooth not only works, it's required.

Just in case you don't believe me, go read it at Apple.com for yourselves:

And the link to compatible Macs has this in the list:

Mac mini​

Identify your Mac mini
  • Mac mini (M1, 2020)
  • Mac mini (2018)

Is that sufficient proof?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apparently after sierra, according to Apple the facility to pair iPhone and Mac was stopped, with Airdrop as the preferred method, just wot I read!! :)
Post that link..

OP
25thirtysix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini M1, iPad Air 5, iPhone 11
Modern Macs and iPhones cannot be PAIRED via Bluetooth, and there is NO NEED to pair them, so please stop trying.

They can be CONNECTED, which is a different thing entirely, and the Mac will show the connected devices.

Apple provides a raft of functions that use the Bluetooth connection. NONE of them require pairing:
Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

From: Bluetooth pairing between iPhone and Mac … - Apple Community

There are a number of similar posts on that thread. This one is interesting:

OK, here's the deal: I got in touch with an Apple engineer, and was told that "with bluetooth pairing, this is an expected behavior since Mac to iPhone is not yet supported with both devices."

The iPhone and Mac are in fact talking over BT, despite not being paired, but it's at a low level. Apps like AirDrop use WiFi for the file transfers. (I suspect that the BT chatter has to do with security, which would explain why it's invisible to the user.)

There is outdated Apple guidance floating about that instructs you to pair the devices, but it only applies to Big Sur and earlier, and in many cases this is not made clear. Any instructions to "pair" an iPhone to a Mac via BT do not apply if your OS is Mojave or later. BT may need to be on for some applications, but pairing is not implemented. (I don't know what to make of the "yet" in his statement.)

So I can get the iPhone to work as an "Input" device only when connected to my Mac Mini via a USB cable. Remove the cable and there is no "Input" device.

So it looks like I'm stuck with a cable connection or buy a webcam with a microphone (any relatively cheap recommendations).

Attachments

• iPhone as a webcam.jpg
    iPhone as a webcam.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2
OP
25thirtysix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini M1, iPad Air 5, iPhone 11
I HAVE A (PARTIAL) SOLUTION

I spoke with an Apple Senior Support person this morning and she was able to come up with a solution.

It appears that Apple has made it difficult for wireless connected iPhones to work as a webcam (for FaceTime and any other video streaming app/service) for any Mac that does not have a built in webcam (e.g. Mac Mini). They did this for privacy reasons; so that the video/audio connection is not left open after a call.

The solution is to set the iPhone into "protected" mode prior to opening FaceTime (or other video apps). To set the iPhone up you need to lightly press the phone's power switch (you do not turn off the phone). There is no need to pair the phone via Bluetooth it will just connect. This works on my Mac Mini M1 and iPhone 11 combination.

However, there is still an issue. If you stop using (say) FaceTime by quitting the app and then wish to make another FaceTime call the video connection is not made (the iPhone is not recognised by FaceTime on the Mac). You need to Shutdown (not Reboot) your Mac, then restart and the iPhone will once again function as a webcam.

This technique is to totally satisfactory but I think it's about as good as it's likely to get.

Regards,
Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This technique is to totally satisfactory but I think it's about as good as it's likely to get.

WOW...!!! It sure seems like Apple's old OS X adage "It Just Works" has certainly been put out to pasture and forgotten about, at least as far as the user is concerned.

Certainly not a very pleasant experience or one that would be expected.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.