Use iMac as External Monitor with Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
I have an older 2007 iMac which runs fine. If I were to get a new Mac mini with the M1 chip, would I be able to use the iMac as a "monitor"?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think technically it is possible (with the right combination of computer model vintages). Unfortunately I think a 2007 iMac is too old to be able to be used as an external monitor. Please check out this Apple document for more details::)

Nick

p.s. On the positive side...something like a 22" monitor (if you shop around or find a good deal)...is possible to purchase for under $100.

Of course if it were me...I'd be shopping for a 27" monitor (2560 x 1440 resolution)...for about $250 (shop around). Way more screen real estate than a 2007 iMac!:)

OP
exncite
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
Thanks Nick. You're probably right. Thought I might be able to save a few bucks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's not worth it since you can pick up a very cheap monitor that doesn't require you to run the iMac to send video to it.

I did this exact thing when I switched from my 2009 iMac to the Mac Mini before purchasing my monitors. It was annoying to use it on a day to day basis.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick. You're probably right. Thought I might be able to save a few bucks.
I hear ya...I'd want to give it a shot as well.:)

FYI. I'm also considering getting one of the M1 Mac-Mini's...and I've got all the latest purchasing details. Don't purchase a brand new M1 Mac-Mini ($699) for the base model...there are at least two other lower cost options:

* Purchase a refurbished M1 Mac-Mini from Apple for $589 (just as good as a brand new one...with same exact warranty).
* Used M1 Mac-Mini's can be snatched up via eBay for around $500 (sometimes a touch less).

I'm considering the eBay route myself.:)

Good luck,

Nick

p.s. Also check your local Craig's List as well. Might spot one for even less.:)

Reaction score
I have an older 2007 iMac which runs fine. If I were to get a new Mac mini with the M1 chip, would I be able to use the iMac as a "monitor"?
More info (but not necessarily helpful, I'm afraid):

Luna Display ($135)
allows you to use iMacs that otherwise can't be used as an external display as one (unfortunately, it's priced close to what you would pay for a brand-new external display)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.