USB Drawing too much power (half working)

Reaction score
So last night I made a bit of a hiccup, I tried to plug my headphones into one of the USB slots by accident (it was dark). I heard a static sound and then was prompted with a warning that USB had been disabled for drawing too much power. I turned the computer off overnight. Now when I switch on I receive no warnings, however the USB is semi functional.
I can plug in an external HDD and have no issues. But when I plug my phone in, it charges, but isn't any longer discoverable. It doesn't appear in the USB section of the system information window either, but it is charging?
I have reset SMC already.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G;day and welcome to the forums.

Do a reset by quitting programs, shut down the computer and remove the plug from the mains and leave it overnight. Next morning hook up and boot.

This is a System Management Controller reset. (SMC).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

We need to know which Mac you have - year and model. And what kind of phone, Android, iPhone, flip phone?

If your hard drive is recognized and working, then there is nothing wrong with the USB port and again if your phone is charging, the port is OK. Did you try plugging your phone into another USB port?

From your description above it sounds like your headphones discharged some static voltage into the port and caused the warning to appear. Also, it's not possible to plug a headphone male jack into a USB port unless you forced it.

OP
S
Reaction score
It's a 2014 i5 Mac Pro Retina with OSX Sierra. The phone is a Samsung S7 Edge - Android.

Yes I've plugged it into both USB ports and they charge the phone, but nothing further. This is only since last night, it was working perfectly before. The phone doesn't appear in the USB 3.0 Bus either on System Information.

I didn't force the headphone jack in, more pushed firmly, as if I was plugging it into the headphone slot. I'm more confused as to why I the phone charges but nothing else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated above, if the hard drive is recognized and works OK plus your phone is charging, then there is nothing wrong with the USB ports. That leaves the Galaxy 7 Edge as the possible culprit. If possible, try plugging your phone in another computer to see if it's picked up and recognized. Also if you have another phone, try plugging that in to see if it's recognized. And by the way, you have a 2014 retina MacBook Pro not a Mac Pro.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you both for the reply, I have tried running diagnostics and they came back clear. I will try and connect to the phone from another computer next week as I am currently away from home. I will post the results then. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.